Comma Question

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

TravisWolfe

Comma Question

Post by TravisWolfe »

Greetings,

I am a native German speaker, becoming a U.S. citizen roughly 10 years ago. CC has made it apparent to me that my English professors were a tad lenient on me. I've had three articles sold, two of them were rejected for revision on first submission. After making the corrections they were accepted and then purchased. The only issues I have ever had all involve the comma. After having an article rejected twice, I've become increasingly paranoid about use of the comma splice.

I've been studying rules of proper comma usage, but still find myself a little uneasy. I'm about to submit another article but was hoping a fellow writer on here could help tell me if the following sentence is grammatically correct? I'd really like to avoid bothering the editor with repeated rejections. I'm horrified of getting banned.

"At present, it is not possible to make silicon layers less than two nanometers thick, this is due to the risk of negative chemical reactions."

Is that a run-on sentence? Should I just put a period after "thick" and have "This is due to the risk of negative chemical reactions." as it's own independent sentence? My fear is that if I do that it will become an incomplete sentence.

Apologies if I sound extremely ignorant.
sleepydoc

Re: Comma Question

Post by sleepydoc »

Your English is much better than that of many native speakers. The comma is problematic for us at times, too. Often, it is a matter of opinion or preference, so I wouldn't worry too much.

I am not a grammar expert, but I would change the punctuation. You may want to wait for an editor or more experienced writer to comment on this.

The sentence you presented could have a semicolon after thick; this separates the next sentence, but shows that it is closely related.
They could also be independent sentences as you suggest.

Grammarly can be very helpful for things like this if you already have a grasp of grammar rules, which you clearly do. The corrections that grammarly suggests aren't always correct, but it does point out little things that you might miss or like to change.

Good luck.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Hello,
Yes, that sentence is a run-on sentence. Fortunately, it's easy to fix (especially since you recognize that it could be a problem). Let's see if we can simplify the sentence a bit.
"At present, it is not possible to make silicon layers less than two nanometers thick, this is due to the risk of negative chemical reactions."
A few ideas that address the run-on structure (but not necessarily the correct meaning of the sentence, though I tried):

* It is not currently possible to make silicon layers less than two nanometers thick due to the risk of negative chemical reactions.
* It is not currently possible to make silicon layers less than two nanometers thick; this is due to the risk of negative chemical reactions.
* Because of the risk of negative chemcial reactions, it is not possible (ethical/viable/realistic?) to produce silicon layers of less than two nanometers.
* Negative chemical reactions make producing silicon layers with thicknesses of less than two nanometers risky.
* Because of the risk of negative chemical reactions, making silicon layers less than two nanometers thick is not currently viable.
* Currently, the potential for negative chemical reactions make producing silicon layers less than two nanometers thick risky.
* Until the risk for negative chemical reactions is mitigated, the production of silicon layers less than two nanometers is unlikely.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

You could also theoretically split it into two sentences in some cases:
"At present, it is not possible to make silicon layers less than two nanometers thick. This is due to the risk of negative chemical reactions."

Since the text seems academic in tone, I would probably opt for one of the other examples as the second sentence feels slightly fragmented and informal. In less formal pieces, the occasional fragment can make an impact. Like this. (Well maybe not like that, but if you're going for a certain effect...)

By the way, I believe that the second sentence in the example above (This is due to ....) is grammatically correct and not an incomplete sentence. "This" (a demonstrative pronoun if I recall correctly) is the subject which refers to the concept of layer production and "is due to the...." is the predicate.
TravisWolfe

Post by TravisWolfe »

Thank you both for taking the time to help. I'm especially surprised to see Celeste posted. My fiance pretty much made me read your e-book. I'm very glad she did :) It's refreshing that you took the time to help out a newbie.

I also want to give the editors here credit for being understanding. Despite all the criticism I see posted, I find Ed and others to be incredibly fair. I'm pretty certain the high standards for quality are a big factor in why my first 3 articles sold so quickly.