Question about original content

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

ShelbyThomas

Question about original content

Post by ShelbyThomas »

My second article was rejected with "We accept only completely original content." The article is a rewrite of one I had on Helium a few years ago. I put it through searchenginereports.net and could not come up with a single phrase attributed to the Helium article.

Also, the phrases it did catch, and I used the most sensitive setting available, were very common phrases such as "to overcome the effects of," "in other areas of the," "assist in the formation of" and "Probiotics are living microorganisms that."

How do I go forward from here? Do I rewrite the phrases? Most were from articles that had nothing to do with my subject of probiotics.

I did make the mistake of putting a price for unique and full, which I am changing. Since it was already on Helium a few years ago I am assuming I can only sell it for usage. Right?
jadedragon

Re: Question about original content

Post by jadedragon »

I'm guessing that copies of the old article are out there - even in online archives. Once on the web always on the web.

To sell here for usage you need to have the same user name as on the other site. If you are using the same name as on the other site, resubmit for usage rights only. Alternatively if the article is really actually unique than you could resubmit and add a note to the editor that it is actually unique. The other thing to do is to place the article on a rev share site and move on to the next article. Sometimes we create articles that are close to other people's articles without even realizing it. There are only so many ways to say some things.
ShelbyThomas

Post by ShelbyThomas »

Thanks, Jade. I tried several other online plag catchers in addition to searchenginereports.net and could never get my article to come up as a copy of the article in Helium. The phrases that were caught were everyday phrases and the articles didn't reflect information about my subject, with the exception of one. I can fiddle with the phrases, but I think other common phrases would get caught as well. We'll see.

I just changed my user name at Helium to the one I use here. I'll leave a note for the editor for comparison. Thanks again for responding. This might work out after all. :)
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

A friend of mine just got the same rejection. She uploaded a Suite101 article, and I told her to check for scrapers and sure enough...it's copied. Sucks. I hate scrapers and the scumbags behind the sites. Grrrr.

Here's a link to a "scrapper" who got a reaming in a funny way at Google support. http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/W ... 7dfa&hl=en
If you cant laugh at it, you'll cry. lol
jellygator

Post by jellygator »

I get the gist that a "scraper" steals content, but I'm not familiar with why people would do that, or how they benefit from it. That was a funny link, though, especially when the guy tried to call you out for being honest.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

There's a lot of really bad SEO tips out there that somehow became common knowledge, but it's just bad bad bad advice.

Most people know that completely copying a site's content is bad for rank, but a lot of people think they can take content and then leave a link to the owner and it's OK. So, lots of people will say "Yeah, I copied the site but left a link at the bottom." /facepalm

It comes from thinking that you take 1 article and just spam it across article sites with a backlink. Or, what used to work back in the day, have 1 site with the same content on several domains. If the site ranked well, you take the content from that site to rank your own site. It does the opposite, actually, but for whatever reason, people still think that you should have content (good or bad or scraped or whatever) just to have content. People will do better having less content that is much better quality than a ton of crappy content.

There is an argument going on whether or not bounce rate is a factor now with Panda. I really think bounce rate is a factor. Some SEO experts agree with me and others disagree because there are too many reasons why a user would bounce. I think a site with really bad content that is full of ads has a very high bounce rate, and there may be other factors like did the user click back and do another search or did the user click back and click another site. Also, the factor of "are many users skipping the site link intentionally?" I think Google is tracking it and making use of it now with Panda.

Good news for writers, because there is more emphasis on high quality content that isn't just spun or thrown together by someone with poor Engrish.
jellygator

Post by jellygator »

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.
ShelbyThomas

Post by ShelbyThomas »

Thank you all for the responses. So much of this is over my head.

I resubmitted the rejected article with an explanation to the editor, and now it has disappeared from my 'My Content' page. I didn't get an email here onsite or at my regular email account explaining. It's just gone. Seems if it was rejected again I would have gotten an email.

Wow, this one is causing too many headaches. Yesterday I brainstormed and came up with a long list of article titles that will be brand new. I think I'll just get started on them. Still, I would like to know why the article disappeared.
Brianblackstone

Post by Brianblackstone »

jadedragon wrote:I'm guessing that copies of the old article are out there - even in online archives. Once on the web always on the web.

To sell here for usage you need to have the same user name as on the other site. If you are using the same name as on the other site, resubmit for usage rights only. Alternatively if the article is really actually unique than you could resubmit and add a note to the editor that it is actually unique. The other thing to do is to place the article on a rev share site and move on to the next article. Sometimes we create articles that are close to other people's articles without even realizing it. There are only so many ways to say some things.

Hello. My article does appear as an old post on another site, but it is my original content. I did send a question about it to Constant Content support. I imagine that if I change username so it is the same here as on that site, I may resubmit the article, although it says not to resubmit it? I am only listing it here for usage rights, and under the other site's guidelines I retain all rights to it.

Does the above sound right?

Many thanks.