three rejections on same article

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

shermanb46

three rejections on same article

Post by shermanb46 »

Help! I'm puzzled. I am new and have submitted three articles that were approved. Then I submitted an article three times with a rejection for the same
problem. The message read - if you intend to include your short summary in the document file, it must be separated from the article by the title. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Thank you for any help you can give me. I'm hesitant to send anything in again -don't want another scolding!
HayleyWriter

Re: three rejections on same article

Post by HayleyWriter »

Hi,

I don't include the short summary in the actual document for any article. It is not a requirement, so why don't you just submit the article without the short summary in the document. It should solve the problem.

Hope this helps,

Hayley
shermanb46

Post by shermanb46 »

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll give it a go.
shermanb46

Post by shermanb46 »

I just thought of one more question - The submission guidelines says,"The short summary will accompany your article's title ... does that mean that you only type the title of the article on the submission form along with the short summary? Does the title go on the document page on my computer?

Thanks again
nichewriter

Post by nichewriter »

You should always include the title of your article in your documents.

I have always included the short summary in my article documents and haven't been rejected
for doing so. I add the summary so clients can use it in their blogs or when they're introducing
their articles. I format my documents like this:

Summary: This 600-word article is....blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Title of Article

First paragraph

Second paragraph

etc.
Gail Kavanagh

Post by Gail Kavanagh »

-[if you intend to include your short summary in the document file, it must be separated from the article by the title -

I think the editor was saying the short summary should go at the top of the document, then the title, then the article.
Sharion

Post by Sharion »

It can be at the end. My articles are laid out as follows. That includes the line spacing. None have been rejected for the summary and keywords being included.

Title
Byline

Article

Three === signs (as a separater between the article and the added info)

Word count: xxx (does not include keywords and summary)

Keywords:

comma separated list of keywords

Short summary:

summary here
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

I never realized we could include the short summary in the document. I thought it was supposed to be in the short summary box only. Do you include it in the long summary as well, or only the attached document?
nichewriter

Post by nichewriter »

aprilk10 wrote:I never realized we could include the short summary in the document. I thought it was supposed to be in the short summary box only. Do you include it in the long summary as well, or only the attached document?
I don't include the short summary in the long summary, just in the attached document.
shermanb46

Post by shermanb46 »

Thanks to you all for providing clear answers to my questions. I think I get it now!!

shermanb46
editterry

Post by editterry »

Hi, I'm one of the editors. The rule being questioned (regarding the short summary) just means you shouldn't copy and paste content from your article into the short summary field on the submission form. If we look at the short summary, and then see that paragraph within the body of the article, we'll reject on that basis. This doesn't mean you can't place the short summary into the document you're submitting; it just means it should clearly be separated from the article itself, preferably with the words "Short Summary:" before it.