Editors not making edits?

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

write2earn

Editors not making edits?

Post by write2earn »

Again, one of my articles came back as a rejection for two insignificant reasons - a missing dash and a missing comma. Unfortunately, the words involved here are not even in my article. If they were, it seems that inserting something as minute as these items would be done by an editor. Here is the commentary:

==== Editorial Information for Your Article: ====

Short summary: "demanding full time position. " --- spelling error *full-time* /// "On the other
side is the proliferation of shrewd con artists lurking online and you don´t want to be victim to
that scene." --- needs a comma before *and* ///

==== End Editorial Information for Your Article ====

After a while, rejected articles begin to wear on a writer's psyche, especially when written for a public request. There were a number of occasions when rejection for a minor item caused me to lose the sale of an article. Is anyone else having this same experience - and losing money in the process?
ThisOldMan

Re: Editors not making edits?

Post by ThisOldMan »

Yes, I have had articles rejected for similar mistakes but I don't have any problem with that. I believe the main function of the editor/reviewer is to vet the articles we submit to make sure that they comply with the requirements of CC. That they care to make a comment and point out the errors, I consider to be a bonus.

The question of missing a public request deadline does not arise. In the first place, very few requests are made with a very short lead time. The normal time frame is, at least, one week from the time the request is made to the deadline. In one week, there is ample time to submit an article. Of course, submitting an article just 24 hours prior to the expiry of the deadline is not the preferred way to do things. Allowance must be made for the editor/reviewer to go through the submitted article. Plus enough time to make corrections, if any, and re-submit. Which adds up to about three days before the deadline. Just a simple question of adjustment.

A totally personal viewpoint from
Hallelujah Lovelight.
The light of love banishes the darkness of loneliness.
write2earn

Post by write2earn »

You may have missed the problem! The corrections shown cannot be found anywhere in my article. So, where did they come from? Also, even on the shortest time frame, IF you write the article on the very first day, you only have 5.5 days for the back-and-forth stuff. :(
ThisOldMan

Post by ThisOldMan »

You are right. I did miss that first part. Probably it's because I did not expect the editor/reviewer to quote a sentence fragment that does not even exist in your article. Perhaps the confusion arose because there were two articles involved. No real idea actually. Only you and the editor/reviewer know what articles you are both talking about.

The average turnaround time for an article to be reviewed is about three days. The average time taken to make the necessary corrections and re-submit is about fifteen minutes. There should not be another rejection if the errors pointed out have been corrected properly. Not in my experience anyway. Of course, my experience with CC is negligible because so far I have only submitted five articles in as many days. Two approved, one fresh submission and one re-submission still under review while one rejected article has been consigned to the shelf by me, for the time being.

I have an ongoing online writing project elsewhere. Still being paid for it. Not as strict as CC but not as well-paying either. Don't know about you but, myself, I am staying with CC for the long term. Have done some fairly detailed research and found CC to be the best offer for my level of competence.

Just an itty-bitty two cents from
Hallelujah Lovelight.
Love lights up my life.
write2earn

Post by write2earn »

I've been here for almost three years. Rejects from everywhere usually go straight to Daily Article or my residual income site at InfoBarrel. :|
ThisOldMan

Post by ThisOldMan »

Had a quick look at the two sites you mentioned. Daily Article gave me a 403 error. Infobarrel is interesting but I do not see anything about being paid. Perhaps you have some info about that. Myself, I am planning to use Hubpages and Squidoo as concurrent sites for my articles which are not bought by the requester. Of course, I will publish in CC as well but I will only sell 'use' rights. Readers of my articles published on Hubpages and Squidoo will be re-directed to CC to make purchases. I have no problem with the 35% commission due to CC. From what I have seen in the 'Recently Sold' page, articles are being sold through CC at more than twice what other sites are offering, even after deducting the commission.

Some thoughts and after thoughts from
Hallelujah Lovelight
Love cannot be blind when there is so much light.
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

As I understand the editor's notes posted above, the errors are in the short summary, not the actual article. It is great they pointed out the errors so precisely. Fix the short summary, double check the article for errors (they often stop reading after spotting errors) and just resubmit.

I'm also a big fan of infobarrel. It is a totally different type of writing and method of getting paid from here. They only take original work too. I recommend a combination of writing for sale (CC being one of the best markets) and writing for residuals (Infobarrel being one of the best sites for that). I've linked more info on IB for anyone interested.
ThisOldMan

Post by ThisOldMan »

Thanks for the link, JD. Now to see if I can publish anything there that will give us a little of something each.
write2earn

Post by write2earn »

ThisOldMan: Daily Article URL is www.dailyarticle.com and it is a site that buys and sells articles. They take 20% in commission when an article sells. Also, they have instituted a flat rate fee for articles they purchase for their own use. I'm going over there now to see what's happening and I will report back.

JadeDragon: Thanks for the clue about the summary. I never considered that to be part of the article. I'll go back and check that out. I appreciate the information.
write2earn

Post by write2earn »

There is something going on with Daily Article. In the process of looking into the problem, I discovered a new site: www.FreedomWithWriting.com and everything seems to be free with immediate income. My website is full of writing job sites and you can check it out at www.write2earn.net. I'll be back!
ThisOldMan

Post by ThisOldMan »

Thank you.
write2earn

Post by write2earn »

That site is not what it is hyped to be. It is mostly informational and they let it seem like bidding for work is the only way to get paid to write. This is something I would not recommend to anyone until the point where you are considered a seasoned writer and not a newbie. Well, onward and upward! Thank you for all your help and insight.
MelissaNott

Post by MelissaNott »

Write2Earn, are you saying you got rejected for articles you didn't even write? If so, it could be a computer glitch. (?)
write2earn

Post by write2earn »

No, I did not say that. Please re-read my first post!
ThisOldMan

Post by ThisOldMan »

Bid for a writing job? Thanks but no thanks. Bidding means bringing down the price. If there is any website where buyers bid to buy articles, I would be very interested indeed.