When to hold, when to fold?

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

SMCarson

When to hold, when to fold?

Post by SMCarson »

Ok, so I've had about 10 articles accepted no problems - no edits, just automatically accepted and have also sold two. I think I need to let this one go.... It's been sent back TWICE for edits and I'm afraid to touch it now. Should I let it go or send it back a third time? Is it just a dud? I think the content is good, I just can't get something quite right I guess. :?

Does there come a time when you need to know when to hold and when to fold or have I been playing too much poker?

Sue
Celeste Stewart

Re: When to hold, when to fold?

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Depends on the types of edits. Minor little typos? Organization and clarity? For minor edits, I'd keep polishing and resubmit. For major organizational or clarity revisions, I'd put it aside for a week and revisit it with a fresh perspective.
SMCarson

Post by SMCarson »

Thanks Celeste,

It's awkward wording and some comma misuse. But the first time it was formatting the spacing, which funny enough, wasn't any different from any other pieces I've submitted.... I guess I'll re-work it. I'm so afraid of getting booted off this site, I feel so lucky to have found it and am working hard to make it work!
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

Put it away for a week and then look it over. I bet the awkward wording will leap out at you then.

I doubt you would get booted for comma errors or wording issues if you've already had several articles accepted and some sold. If the editors see that you are making a concerted effort to improve your writing and taking their notes seriously, you will probably be fine :)