quick question about colons

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

vision

quick question about colons

Post by vision »

Hello,

I have a quick question. I submitted three articles and wanted to make sure I used the colon (:) in them properly.

As I understand it, a colon informs the reader that what follows explains the subject of the article.
The titles of the three articles are below. As far as I know, they are fine. However, I just want to make sure my use of the colon won't make them rejected.

The Entrepreneur’s Guide to Attracting Talented Employees: (Avoid the Games and Promote Your Best Qualities)
The Small Business Owner’s Guide to Calculating Real Gross Profit and the Value of Customer Accounts: (The Effects of Time and the Cost of Money)
The Small Business Owner’s Guide to the Costs of Inventory: (Understanding All the Costs of Managing Inventory)

Let me know.

Thanks
Ed

Re: quick question about colons

Post by Ed »

You intend to remove the parentheses, yes?
Ed

Post by Ed »

Personally, I think the titles without what follows is title enough. Especially in the last two examples, what comes after the colon seems to say the same thing as what comes before the colon or doesn't add anything.

If the article was a part of a series (connected by its titles and not by text within the article), the information following the colon would be necessary to differentiate between two different articles that explain sub-topics under the main topic.

The Small Business Owner’s Guide to the Costs of Inventory: Keeping Records
The Small Business Owner’s Guide to the Costs of Inventory: Tips for Improving Efficiency

Thanks,
Ed
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

Yeah, if you use a colon (which I do on a regular basis to give a title and then a subtitle clarifying the title), you don't need the parentheses.

Starting Your Own Business: Do You Really Need a Business Plan?
vision

Post by vision »

Thank you Ed,

I will take this advice. I have come to appreciate your input.

Is it ok if I leave these three as is?
I just want to make sure they are not rejected.

I will use your approach on future articles.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Yeah. If you've already got them in the queue, don't worry about changing them.

Thanks,
Ed