Font Problem on One Article but not the Rest?

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

geniuswaitress

Font Problem on One Article but not the Rest?

Post by geniuswaitress »

My first question was answered so quickly (thanks), so here's another.

I'm newer than new, and submitted three articles today. Two have been accepted, and one has been rejected for having the wrong font size.

I typed each of these documents using my default setting. For the life of me, I can't figure out how one could possibly have been different from the others.

I checked the writer's guidelines, and they ask for Times New Roman or Arial, neither of which are available on the program I'm using. Does anyone know what font is comparable?

The font used on my accepted articles (and the other one too) was Verdana, 10 pt.

Was it an error to have rejected the one article, or an error to have accepted the other two? It appears that I might not be able to submit any more articles ever, with the lack of these fonts on my document program.
Ed

Re: Font Problem on One Article but not the Rest?

Post by Ed »

They were all the same. The articles accepted today were for the "urgent articles" request and had no other errors, so they were accepted because Verdana isn't the most difficult font to work with. I am surprised that your word processing program does not have Times New Roman as an option - even free programs like OpenOffice.org have a variety of common fonts to choose from - but if this is indeed so, I can accept Verdana.

Thanks,
Ed
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

What program are you using? We can go from there. It should be a simple matter of downloading the fonts you want and/or need. I've just never heard of a program which didn't have Times New Roman or Arial. At least not in the last decade at any rate.

If you're using Word 2007, you'll have to scroll down the list a bit to find them. For some reason, both were located at the very bottom of the list for me. Even Klingon Bold, and Ferengi were above Arial and Times New Roman.
geniuswaitress

Post by geniuswaitress »

Hi.

Posted a reply to this that seems to have disappeared...?

I use Google Docs, and love it. I suspect that Times and Arial are copyrighted names and Google is not allowed to use them. One of their fonts may well be a close imitator, but I assure you, Times and Arial are not among the choices.

If it okay to continue with the Verdana, I can continue with that. Are you saying I can now have articles accepted in Verdana? If anyone knows a font in Google Docs that matches Times or Arial, I'd be happy to switch to that.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Actually, it appears that Times New Roman is "Serif" in Google Docs, and Arial is "Sans Serif." Please use these in the future.

Thanks,
Ed
geniuswaitress

Post by geniuswaitress »

Thanks for checking that for me. 12 point, I presume?
Ed

Post by Ed »

Yes.