Not original content

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

camc

Not original content

Post by camc »

My article entitled, The Job Interview: The Toughest Question for rejected for reason: We accept only completely original content. The article was derived in part from an article I wrote for another publication a couple of years ago but was rewritten for a public request. I would appreciate some input into this rejection so I do not repeat the same mistake again.
Thanks
Ed

Re: Not original content

Post by Ed »

Hi - just make sure you don't take anything word-for-word from any other source, including your own. You can probably just reword in this situation and resubmit. A line or two isn't a problem; it's just when we get into whole chunks of text that things begin to get sticky.

Thanks!
Ed
bigshirt

Post by bigshirt »

My article "What Happens When Your Pension Fund Fails" was rejected for "We accept only completely original content"
Can you tell me more about this and what I need to do to redo and resubmit this article.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Our guidelines state:
Plagiarism will not be tolerated. This will result in immediate account suspension.

Plagiarism includes:

Using text taken directly from another source without citing that source and presenting this information as your own.

Rewriting an article (or a significant portion of an article) by another author, using different words and/or sentence structure without adding original thoughts or ideas.
leenaantony

Post by leenaantony »

My article Pension was rejected reasoning grammar mistakes sentence structure mistakes etc are there . I am a first tikmer and my first content itself was rejected .Please tell me why or where the mistakes please .
Zabrina

Post by Zabrina »

Hi Leena,
I'm not staff or anything, but maybe I can help you out before Ed sees this. :)

We all have to start somewhere! I'm noticing a few grammar and sentence structuring mistakes in your posts. My advice would be to take a close look at your writing with an eye first to grammar and spelling.

If you're willing to put lots of effort into improving your writing (and a writer is always improving his or her writing; it's a lifelong process!), Constant Content can pay off big-time for you. :)

Here's a very awesome series of online lessons to refresh your memory on spelling and grammar: http://www.suite101.com/lesson.cfm/17267/504 Once you've worked through them, you'll probably remember all those finicky little things like period placement (I noticed some period placement issues in your post), commas, spelling, etc.

It's very important to have perfect grammar and spelling when you're submitting articles. Use Word's spell-checker to start with, but don't rely on it because it won't catch homophones (words like "their" versus "they're" versus "there"; they sound the same but mean very different things) and is sometimes wrong about grammar fixes.

If you have a friend or family member who's great at English, you can also try giving your article to him or her to read over and correct, and you can learn from the corrections to be a better writer next time.

Again, we all have our little quirks, but it's through patience and persistence that we become good (and hopefully great) writers. :)

Best of luck! :)