Guess the comma problem

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

sw4747

Guess the comma problem

Post by sw4747 »

HI
I am new here and have just had an article rejected for misplaced comma. However, there doesn't seem to be any indication as to where this misplaced/missing comma is. Are these problems usually indicated? Because I can't see where the comma problem is myself. Here is a recently added section (after previous rejection [it wasn't rejected for comma problem first time]) where I presume the problem is. Can anyone see the comma problem please?
Thanks

Even if you are a DIY novice, relax. Carrying out regular care and maintenance tasks are no more difficult than following a recipe, and many of the essential maintenance tasks that will keep your home in tip-top condition amount to little more than regular cleaning and vigilance. This article outlines a few tips on the care and maintenance of exterior decking.
jak

Re: Guess the comma problem

Post by jak »

I don't see a comma problem here, but I do see another error. The 'are' after 'maintenance tasks' should be 'is', since it's the action, not the tasks, you are talking about.

Sometimes when editors decide to reject, they stop reading and don't review the rest of the article, so you should proof the whole of it very carefully. Recently, I've noticed inconsistencies in CC's editing, which I put down to different individuals having their own subjective views, some being more pedantic than others. I don't always agree with the suggestions, but I always accommodate them and make changes I can live with.

I had a rejection this morning and one of the requirements was to format in TNR 12 point with double spaces between paragraphs, which I had already done as per usual. I am wondering if there is a problem at the site end, although I can't imagine what it could be. I've seen the same thing reported by other authors in other threads here too.
sw4747

Post by sw4747 »

HI
Turns out the comma problem was in this sentence: 'But they need more regular maintenance than a stone patio to keep them in good condition [,] and they’re unlikely to last as long. Couldn't see it myself, but they are right I guess. However, I resubmitted the article before I read your (Jak) post and so didn't rectify the error you spotted, it was accepted anyway.
Nevermind
nichewriter

Post by nichewriter »

sw4747 wrote:HI
Turns out the comma problem was in this sentence: 'But they need more regular maintenance than a stone patio to keep them in good condition [,] and they’re unlikely to last as long. Couldn't see it myself, but they are right I guess. However, I resubmitted the article before I read your (Jak) post and so didn't rectify the error you spotted, it was accepted anyway.
Nevermind
Curious -- your article has a sentence that starts with "But" and it got accepted? I had an article rejected yesterday for starting 2 sentences with "but" ;) It's been awhile since I got a rejection so that one kind of stung for just a few seconds. Funny thing is that I've had articles accepted before where I started sentences with a "but". I'm chalking it up to the preference of the editor who reviewed my article so I'll re-work those two sentences and re-submit. Makes me wish, though, that CC would put out its own style guide so those inconsistencies during the review process could be minimized.

~S
jellygator

Post by jellygator »

I had one rejected for starting with "But." Since I'm super prone to do start sentences with that word, I figure it's good if I get dinged and I'm lucky if I didn't.