Editors not making edits?

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

write2earn

Re: Editors not making edits?

Post by write2earn »

You got that right! Writers bidding for work is so degrading. There are so many of these sites that newbies think this is the only way to work online. In reality, there are many more "article farms" that pay to have a writer take a title and write it for a predetermined amount of money.
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

Pretty sure write2earn's rejection was for a couple errors in his/her short summary, not the article itself. Easy to fix errors too. Remember that the Editors read the short summary too.
MelissaNott

Post by MelissaNott »

write2earn wrote:No, I did not say that. Please re-read my first post!
Perhaps my post was unclear. I was asking for clarification of your first post. :D
Gail Kavanagh

Post by Gail Kavanagh »

write2earn wrote:Again, one of my articles came back as a rejection for two insignificant reasons - a missing dash and a missing comma. Unfortunately, the words involved here are not even in my article. If they were, it seems that inserting something as minute as these items would be done by an editor. ?
Yes, it sounds like the short summary is the problem, in which case the articles probably haven't been read by the editor.
Write2earn, the definition of an editor, like everything else, has changed with the internet and content submission sites. But one thing that has not changed is that an editor will usually not make any corrections without consulting the writer first. Yes, it would seem simple enough to add a comma, or a hyphen, but how can the editor be sure of the writer's intentions? Maybe the writer just missed that comma, or maybe they were intending to say something else altogether.

These days the kind of exchange that once took place between an editor and a writer - "I think you need a comma there, all right if I change it?" - is rare, and it would be too time consuming on a site like CC. So that exchange becomes, "You need a comma there, please rewrite and resubmit." Just to pop in the comma is still not part of an editor's job - he or she needs still to inform the writer, so that there is no misunderstanding later, and the writer can claim the work was changed without his or her knowledge.

It is not anyone's job but the writer's to put that comma where it's supposed to go - or to say, this is the way I wrote it, this is the way I like it, and offer it for sale elsewhere.

You only have to read a few sites where there is no editor's perusal to be thankful that CC has standards, and expects the writer to fix them personally. It can only improve the quality of content in the long run, because what you have to do yourself sticks with you. To go on making the same errors and expecting others to fix them is just sloppy.