Awesome site!

New writer to CC, introduce yourself here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

domonkoz

Awesome site!

Post by domonkoz »

I recently joined this awesome site. My hope was to make a little cash on the side doing what I love the most, writing. I submitted my first article after hours of work. The article was about Genghis Khan and various misconceptions about the man. I had just finished a very long biography about him and thought I should share some insights. This is the email I recieved in response to my efforts:

We have reviewed your content, "The Many Misconceptions of Genghis Khan ." Unfortunately, we can no longer consider this article for approval. Please do not resubmit.
==== Editorial Information for Your Article: ====
We do not accept content with grammar errors, syntax errors, problems with awkward wording or word choice, sentence structure errors, or other errors. Your submissions do not meet our requirements. Your account has been suspended. We will consider no more of your work.

Wow. No information about what was so grammatically offensive to them, just a full-blown suspension as if I had written the thing in crayon and used Ebonics. Even the harshest editors (and I've dealt with a few) have not been this cold and dismissive of me. Here is a selection of what I sent in:

There may be no historical figure more misunderstood and misrepresented than Genghis Khan. Even the name itself is something of a title, and even that has been skewed and blurred over time. In fact, Genghis is the westernized version of “Chingiss” and Khan is a title, not a surname, which was held by many tribal chieftains before and after Genghis Khan’s reign. Genghis Khan’s birth name was Temujin. Mongolians at the time were known to only keep one name.

But there are many more discrepancies between the image held of Genghis Khan today—one sculpted by centuries of people depicting him as a savage barbarian—and the one that truly existed.

It is not suspect as to whether or not Genghis Khan was a warlord, that much is verifiably certain, but he was also much more. He did things no man before him had done and controlled an empire larger than any that exist today. He did all this with little more than sheer will.

The young Temujin was born in a region known as the steppes, an area of Mongolia that was ripe with constant tribal conflict and poverty. When Temujin’s father died their family was shunned by their tribe. He was forced into very demanding responsibilities early on, hunting for food for his widowed mother and many siblings. The family lived in staggering poverty and it was not above their class to often dine on hunted rats. In time the tribe had come to agree that the large family of children and undesirable women were nothing more than a burden to the tribe, and it wasn't long before the Tribe abandoned them altogether, leaving them to fend for themselves.

---

Okay, perhaps maybe my punctuation isn't flawless (is anyone's?) but I really don't see how this calls for such severe treatment. Can I get some feedback from the community?