Greetings, new here.

New writer to CC, introduce yourself here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

FondRegards

Greetings, new here.

Post by FondRegards »

Hello Everyone
My name is LoraDee, and I am new to Constant Content. I am excited and ready for my first submission, but I am trying to take it slow, checking and double checking for typos, or other errors before submitting my first piece. I have a couple of questions that I hope you would be kind enough to answer.
Regarding quotes: Do radio interviews fall under fair use? Can I quote up to about 40-50 words from a radio interview, without permission? (with attribution of course)
And, I don't know how to set prices. I would love to hear how you folks determine pricing.
HayleyWriter

Re: Greetings, new here.

Post by HayleyWriter »

Hi LoraDee,

Welcome to Constant Content. It is a great site and I am sure you will succeed here. As for your questions, I am not sure of the rules of fair use on a radio program, so hopefully someone else will jump in to answer that one.

In the forums, especially in the Author Exchange section, there are several posts and lengthy discussions about how authors set prices. I suggest you go back through the topics to find some. Personally, I work out a per word rate that I am happy with for that article (which may depend on how much time I have spent on it). Usually, my rate is between 5 and 10 cents a word. Then, I add in the CC take of the sale and set the usage price accordingly. Then, I double this for full rights and put the unique price about $10 lower. That way, if my article sells once for usage, I am happy with the price I have received for the article. An extra sale for usage or a sale for unique or full rights is just icing on the cake. I do use the best offer system, but I don't accept offers that don't meet my "minimum" price for the article.

I hope this helps you out.

Kind regards,

Hayley
FondRegards

Re: Greetings, new here.

Post by FondRegards »

Thanks Hayley for a detailed and very helpful answer.
LoraDee