what happens to public request articles that aren't bought?

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

ltynor

what happens to public request articles that aren't bought?

Post by ltynor »

Hi all -

I wrote a piece for a public request last week, and the automated acceptance email stated:

"The article will remain exclusive for the request during a 3 days period."
"If the customer decides against purchasing this article, we automatically put your article into our listings of available articles."

It is now a week later. The article has not been purchased by the customer, yet it still remains unavailable to the general listings.

I had expected the article to become generally available by now since it was accepted/submitted a week ago. Clearly, I'm misunderstanding the process. Can somebody please explain should happen when a public request article is not purchased?

Thanks for clarifying!
ltynor

Re: what happens to public request articles that aren't boug

Post by ltynor »

And the answer is.....

The request was valid for 28 days, and I decided to do nothing with the article until expiration in order to find out what would happen. The request expired yesterday. Today, I see that my article is still associated with the request. The request also still appears in my Requests list with a Days Left value of -1. My article is still not public - it is not visible on my profile, under the category or by a search

I would like to manually disassociate my article from the request now in order to make it public, but I see no way to do it. I don't see anything under Edit or under the Request that would allow me to disassociate it.

Is there a way to pull an article from a request? Do I have to delete the article and then resubmit? Deleting/resubmitting would be a bit harsh...

Thanks for any info!

Laurie
JDWhang

Post by JDWhang »

They usually get sent back. It's probably just an error, CC will fix it if you contact them directly.
tayalltheway

Post by tayalltheway »

I've just sent CC and email before, and though they don't usually respond, my articles make it into the general pool soon after.
ltynor

Post by ltynor »

Thanks for the pointers! I have sent CC a note requesting that they disconnect my article from the request. Hopefully, it will show up in the general pool soon. :)
philipanderson

Post by philipanderson »

Did you ever get a reply to your request? I have a couple of articles in a similar position and I can't see a way to tell whether they have been returned to the public pool or not.

I have to say that I hope the Constant Content support team responds a bit more professionally to potential clients - I have never had a reply to any of the issues that I have raised - in most cases, it was quicker and easier to delete the article and re-submit to get around the problem.
ltynor

Post by ltynor »

Yes, the article has been released. I sent cc a request via the contact us link at the top of the main page. I used the author related category. There was still no change after three days, so I sent a second request. A few days later the article was released. There was no response or notification; I just noticed that it was released.

I can tell it is released because now the article is visible in my profile listing. I can also find it now by a keyword search.

(Please excuse any typos here. I am responding on my phone. :) )
philipanderson

Post by philipanderson »

OK - thanks for the update - I'll send another email to get mine released.
dbvirago

Post by dbvirago »

I have one that I posted for a request over 2 weeks ago. The request is long closed, but the article isn't in the regular pool. I have sent two emails to support with no reply. Should I wait, or would it be easier to delete and resubmit? Is this not an automatic thing, or does an editor have to manually move it?

TIA
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I would do it. I have 2 articles that just were purchased and I could have sworn that they were stuck. Either the buyer came back months later or they just weren't receiving many views. I can't tell!
dbvirago

Post by dbvirago »

Yeah, I''m going to delete and resub later. After 3 weeks it's still showing for request and doesn't come up in a search. Even old articles show in My Content as For Request, but they still show in searches and many of sold since then.
jak

Post by jak »

It seems to me that if you delete and resubmit, you are just adding to the editors' work pile, and it could take a while to get it through the backlog. Best to have patience or keep emailing support until they fix it.
kayelex

Post by kayelex »

I have two articles that I submitted back in Feb to public requests. To this day, they are still attached to that request. I have sent multiple messages with links to the articles and have never heard anything back. Needless to say, I have been hesitant to post anything to a public request since then for fear that it would get frozen in the queue forever.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I can't be sure but I think they fixed it. I had someone different buy an article I had uploaded for a public request.