Submission Counter

Keep Involved in Planning Changes to the Site. Have your Voice Count.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

kuttingxedge

Submission Counter

Post by kuttingxedge »

I hope I am in the right area for this, otherwise, I'm sure someone will tell me. Just a suggestion, it would be nice to know how many submissions the client is entertaining for public request orders. Just a small ticker somewhere with a number on the request details page. If there are 10 articles for one order, I have faith in my fellow writers that the job will be long gone before mine goes through the system and gets read.

Also, the system should automatically remove the listing from the board when the client purchases an order. I understand that the current method is to prompt the client to remove the listing, and this could lead to some wasted effort. Thanks for providing a place for suggestions. Good writing everyone.
SJHillman

Re: Submission Counter

Post by SJHillman »

I agree it would be nice to know how many articles have already been submitted for a given request, but I don't think the client generally decides ahead of time how many submissions they'll look at before purchasing. Also, a client may purchase multiple submissions, so I'd hate to have CC remove the listing before the client is ready as they may come back a day or two later wanting to purchase more. Perhaps just an icon showing that the client has already purchases at least one article would be sufficient for those who don't want to compete on the chance the client won't purchase more (I'm generally in this category due to limited time).

On the bright side, even if a client doesn't purchase your submission, it still goes into the general catalog for other clients to view and purchase, so the effort is likely not wasted unless it's an extremely small niche article.
britnilinda

Post by britnilinda »

Thanks to SJHillman. you're right. :)
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

I agree--an indicator of how many submissions have already been approved and how many (if any) the client purchased would be helpful to save me wasting time. Like SJHillman and kuttingXedge expressed, some indicator would be helpful as I don't want to compete with all of you, my fellow elite writers, on some assignments: you're all so good :wink: I have confidence the customer will satisfy their immediate request if several choices are presented and will go searching for more or place another request if they want more like it. A submission counter and a buying counter would be helpful :!:
Judith
Location: I may be found where mountains rise and rivers flow.

Post by Judith »

I have been a writer longer than most of you have been alive. :) I am an independent freelance writer, as you should be. I don't want or need to know what other independent freelancers are writing or charging. I just write and price according to fees I have set myself. While CC is not my full time writing job, it is one well worth developing for my retirement. If I am not writing for a private request or writer's pool, I primarily write spec articles on topics I see selling. I sometimes see a public request that is on a topic I enjoy, and if the price is right I will submit an article. It doesn't matter how many others submit to the same author. It doesn't matter if they purchase my article. What is important is that I wrote it. The customer will buy the article they want at the price they can afford, and my article will still sell to another buyer. The important thing is to write and not worry about what other writers are doing. It is NEVER a waste of time to write an informative and valuable article. It is an affirmation of your skill, whether it is purchased by the customer or not. Another customer will buy it. So just WRITE! It is NEVER a waste of time!
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I'm like Judith. I just write whatever I want. I've written to public requests and writer pools, but that's when it fits my skill set. I usually sell to tech requests, but I don't worry about what everyone else is doing. I also charge what I feel I'm worth and can pull on this site. Lots of writers charge less than I do, but that's their business not mine.

ETA: Also, lots of times buyers will buy multiple articles even if they only request one, so I don't worry too much about it. I sold one for the Google rich snippets request after it had been up for days. And I know that requester had already purchased articles for that request.
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

Valuable insight, Judith and Lysis! I shall take it to heart and, essentially, "mind my own business". :D

The first article I wrote was for a specific request, and I put a lot of editing into it, so I'm sorry to see it not sell to that or any other customer. I can understand why it didn't get purchased, though, so now I'm dividing the requested long article down into a series of smaller ones that will replace the long one and hopefully sell. Wish I had the time to rewrite the content completely so I didn't have to take down the long article, but "time waits for no man" as some genius said. If I ever find the time I can always rewrite the long article to be unique from the sub-articles. More likely, it'll get warehoused in favor of writing exciting new stuff, however. 8)
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I just think you'll drive yourself crazy if you concentrate on others. I know you can kinda get an idea of how the site works from others and potential income, but people here have such a huge range of how they use the site and the prices they charge.