I did it! I sold my first article!

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Tster

I did it! I sold my first article!

Post by Tster »

Logged on to my email today, not expecting to see too much, and I've sold my 1st article! Okay, fine, I got a bit fed up and dropped the price to $10, but I'm still happy!
mnicol22

Re: I did it! I sold my first article!

Post by mnicol22 »

Congratulations on your first sale! Every sale is exciting and it motivates you to write some more, but I think the first one is the most memorable! :)

If I may ask, how long had you been waiting for it? Dropping the price may seem like a good idea if you want fast sales, but it's not good practice in the long run. You're selling your work short, and you "teach" customers to expect more $10 pieces from you. I recently sold an article that had been sitting in my portfolio for over a year. Like you, I had initially set the price at $100 (it was almost 1200 words long) but seeing it wouldn't sell, I gradually dropped it to $45.

The customer who bought it put up a similar public request setting his price range at $100-$150, and I realized I had just given away my hard work for crumbs. Now, I'll just put my articles up at a price I deem fair, and leave them alone. I found that writing different types of articles works better than constantly adjusting your prices. For example, a customer can find an introductory or filler article in my portfolio for $15-$30, but if he wants more specialized content, he will have to pay more.

Anyway, keep up the good work! Keep writing, and you'll see that the sales will eventually follow. :)
Tster

Re: I did it! I sold my first article!

Post by Tster »

mnicol22 wrote:Congratulations on your first sale! Every sale is exciting and it motivates you to write some more, but I think the first one is the most memorable! :)

If I may ask, how long had you been waiting for it? Dropping the price may seem like a good idea if you want fast sales, but it's not good practice in the long run. You're selling your work short, and you "teach" customers to expect more $10 pieces from you. I recently sold an article that had been sitting in my portfolio for over a year. Like you, I had initially set the price at $100 (it was almost 1200 words long) but seeing it wouldn't sell, I gradually dropped it to $45.

The customer who bought it put up a similar public request setting his price range at $100-$150, and I realized I had just given away my hard work for crumbs. Now, I'll just put my articles up at a price I deem fair, and leave them alone. I found that writing different types of articles works better than constantly adjusting your prices. For example, a customer can find an introductory or filler article in my portfolio for $15-$30, but if he wants more specialized content, he will have to pay more.

Anyway, keep up the good work! Keep writing, and you'll see that the sales will eventually follow. :)
Yeah, I may put them up to something like 6 cent a word.

Thanks for the advice!