Login/Logged Out Problems

Keep Involved in Planning Changes to the Site. Have your Voice Count.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Hugh

Login/Logged Out Problems

Post by Hugh »

I've actually been having this issue since I first arrived here, using variety of browsers on both Mac and PC platforms.
Basically, I log in and if I dare to go back to the main page, I'm no longer logged in. For whatever reason, I am always logged out when I go to the front page. Always. Same goes for the forum. If I go to the forum and try to get back to any of the pages in the main site, I'm logged out. Though I've specifically set one of my browsers on either platform to remember the site's password and login combo's, these never work. I must always manually enter my log/pass. That doesn't bother me when I'm coming into the site the first time, but getting logged out when I shouldn't be is quite the nuisance.

I think it's either a session variable or a cookie getting dropped somewhere amongst the page loads. I'm inclined to think it's a session variable that's not being referenced and then when it is, it's already been dropped; suggesting to the site that the user hasn't actually logged in.
On a scale of 1-10 of annoyances, I'd make this about a 6 or a 7.
csjwilkinson

Re: Login/Logged Out Problems

Post by csjwilkinson »

I get timed out, but I'm not experiencing what you appear to be.

Are your log outs instant?
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Yep.
If I go to the front page, then try and view my profile, it doesn't work.I'm forced to reenter my log/pass every time.
LOL... I just tried it in another tab - I copied and pasted this page URL into that new tab, then clicked the logo - BANG - back at the front page and confronting a "Login" screen, with no hint that the session variable (which keeps track that I'm *me*, so to speak) ever existed.
Isabelnewth

Post by Isabelnewth »

Hallo Hugh, I have always had the same problem...but it seems to happen mainly (maybe only) when I click on the page of the main site that I want to get back to.

If instead of that I click on the 'back' button, then it takes me back to the main site and I am still logged in....

Regards.
Jarndyce

Post by Jarndyce »

I haven't been on CC long, but I'm experiencing this problem as well. When I log in I check the "Keep Me Logged In" box, but it doesn't seem to matter. If I leave the CC site for awhile and later return, I fin I'm logged out again. This doesn't happen to me on other sites, so I'm confident this problem is not related to a setting on my computer.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

@Jarndyce

I'd expect CC to log you out after a certain amount of time, so while I'm not dismissing your concern, I would argue that that's just sound administrative practice. What's irksome to me is being logged into the forum, then going back to the main page and having to log in again. Isas approach does work (clicking "back" on the browser as opposed to clicking on the logo), but that's a user workaround to a problem.