Excerpt or Full Article

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

gorgygirl

Excerpt or Full Article

Post by gorgygirl »

I just had my first article accepted. I choose to excerpt about 320 words from the article that's over 700 words. However, now in viewing the article on CC, I think the excerpts I chose make the article look incomplete and not thorough to a potential buyer. Should I, as one person on the Forum suggested, resubmit my excerpts with an explanatory note at the bottom that states what I left out of the article or should I submit the full article? Do the writers on CC have more success posting the full article rather than the excerpt? I know that some writers worry about someone stealing their article if they submit it whole. And if I just add an explanatory note do I just add the note and resubmit? And if I decide to post the entire article I suppose I have to resend the whole file again with an explantory note and it gets put by into queue for review. Right?
Celeste Stewart

Re: Excerpt or Full Article

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Hi,
You can make changes to the short and long summaries directly without having to re-upload the document or go through the review process (as long as the original document doesn't need to be changed).

If the excerpts make the article look incomplete or choppy to you, then they'll probably look that way to potential buyers as well. That's why I advocate either clearly explaining that these are excerpts or posting the whole article. If you go the excerpt route, use brackets or some other mark to explain. For example:

[Section continues with a discussion of ____...]

[Article goes on to cover the pros and cons of ____; common complaints with _____; and how to ______].
gorgygirl

Post by gorgygirl »

Thank you, Celeste. Good advice.
Akela

Post by Akela »

I thought I'd reply from a buyer's perspective. I personally feel a little more secure seeing a good excerpt as opposed to an entire article. This way I know that it is unlikely that someone has retyped the whole thing manually and posted it somewhere else...
jak

Post by jak »

Thanks for mentioning that, Akela. I hadn't thought about it in that way before.
gorgygirl

Post by gorgygirl »

Thanks, Akela. That's something I hadn't thought about but well worth considering. I'm late in responding to you but I still appreciate your suggestion.