Site problems?

Keep Involved in Planning Changes to the Site. Have your Voice Count.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

mark092600

Site problems?

Post by mark092600 »

Hello. For the last few days, I've been having a really hard time logging in and I'm wondering if anyone else is having a problem. Regardless of which computer I'm using, the problem is pretty much the same. Seems to work whenever it wants to and I've had to wait several hours to submit finished work because I can't seem to get on or stay on. I get in eventually, but I guess what I'm worried about is that if other people are having this problem, then potential content buyers might get frustrated by it and look elsewhere. Anyone know what's going on?
mnicol22

Re: Site problems?

Post by mnicol22 »

I've been having trouble logging in using Explorer. I thought it might be my connection acting up -again!- but when I tried with Firefox, problem solved! I have no idea what the matter is, though!
mark092600

Post by mark092600 »

mnicol22 wrote:I've been having trouble logging in using Explorer. I thought it might be my connection acting up -again!- but when I tried with Firefox, problem solved! I have no idea what the matter is, though!
Thanks, mnicoll22! I'll try that. I used to use Firefox on my previous laptop, but I never installed a copy of it in my new one. I have access to two laptops, but I prefer using mine, as all my files are in that one and it beats moving everything into this one just to submit it. I had to switch computers just to post in this forum, because I couldn't even get in to do that! Even this one has trouble getting in, though. So I'm inclined to think it can't be my computer, per se. That Firefox might be an improvement makes more sense. I'm gonna give that a shot. Thanks for the reply!
mnicol22

Post by mnicol22 »

You're welcome! I hope it works for you too. :)
BlueSquares

Post by BlueSquares »

We've been purchasing content every month for several years.

Since last month, we've been unable to use IE7 to purchase articles from the website.

Specifically:
Shopping carts are cleared.
We are unable to checkout.
The browser crashes after 5 clicks or so.

We are in a corporate environment and are unable to install Firefox or upgrade IE due to incompatibilities with internal software.

Is anyone at Constant Content aware of this and/or rectifying the issue?
mark092600

Post by mark092600 »

BlueSquares wrote:We've been purchasing content every month for several years.

Since last month, we've been unable to use IE7 to purchase articles from the website.

Specifically:
Shopping carts are cleared.
We are unable to checkout.
The browser crashes after 5 clicks or so.

We are in a corporate environment and are unable to install Firefox or upgrade IE due to incompatibilities with internal software.

Is anyone at Constant Content aware of this and/or rectifying the issue?
This is exactly what I was worried about when I first posted this. I only have to jump on here when I need to submit something, so there are times I might get away with logging on only once or twice a day. My email notifications will let me know if something is approved or sold. However, content buyers might understandably want to spend some time browsing the site. Incidentally, I did try Firefox and it made a huge difference. Either way, it shouldn't be so difficult for anyone, much less our potential clients. I would also like to know if anyone at CC is aware of this.
mnicol22

Post by mnicol22 »

I was not sure whether they are aware of the problem, so I took the initiative to contact Support and let them know. Hopefully, we will get an answer soon.
jellygator

Post by jellygator »

I think there's something about IExplorer that causes that to happen on many sites. It was one of several problems I had with the latest version. Between the cleared out shopping carts and not being able to log on to my banking sites, I switched to Google Chrome and that fixed those problems for me.
Constant

Post by Constant »

We are aware of the issues that are happening with older versions of Internet Explorer. We've done what we can to mitigate difficulties these users have, but unfortunately some things on our site just won't work on them. IE 6 and 7 don't support newer features that pretty much every other browser does, and we rely on these features to ensure the security of articles and in maintaining their uniqueness. You'll see this most prominently with the article previews, and we do recommend right on that page that users upgrade their browsers.

It's clearly a really frustrating problem when it's happening to our users, and we would like to resolve it but it just doesn't seem clear that we can unless IE is updated itself. Traffic to our site from these browsers represents about 2-3% of overall traffic, which isn't a huge number, but we will always work directly with people affected by the issues to sort out something that will work for them.
mnicol22

Post by mnicol22 »

Thanks for chiming in, Constant. I've noticed the Explorer-related kinks, with error messages popping up and tabs being closed and reopened every time I try to access the site. However, I had never had a problem logging in or actually loading the page even on recovered tabs, which made me a bit suspicious.

Support confirmed that there was a server-related issue that might have caused these problems. It was fixed last week and, as far as I can see, things went back to normal. For the rest of the problems I think I'll take your advice and upgrade my browser. Thanks for that!
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but searching with various other strings didn't net me much.

Basically, what's up with viewing the main site? Everything except the links on the left is loaded at the bottom of the page, buttons are hard to click, and other viewing problems. Is it that I use IE9? Clearing the cache isn't really the problem because this is a new computer that I've never used to log in to CC or the forums. Any advice would be appreciated.
SJHillman

Post by SJHillman »

I just checked in IE9 and I get the same thing. No problems with Opera or Chrome. I would chalk it up to an IE incompatibility. The only advice I can give is to try another browser or upgrade to IE10 and see if that fixes it.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

SJHillman wrote:I just checked in IE9 and I get the same thing. No problems with Opera or Chrome. I would chalk it up to an IE incompatibility. The only advice I can give is to try another browser or upgrade to IE10 and see if that fixes it.
Well, thanks for the advice. I refuse to use anything Google unless I absolutely have to after what their latest updates have done to websites hits. I also hate change - been using IE since Windows 98.