Online Course Writing/Selling

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

HiredGun

Online Course Writing/Selling

Post by HiredGun »

Have any Constant Content writers tried their hand at writing/selling online courses? (Teachery, Learnyst, etc.)
Lysis

Re: Online Course Writing/Selling

Post by Lysis »

I've kinda been up in the air about doing something that makes money outside of the writing thing. I don't really consider myself a great writer. I'm just an expert at something, so I don't think this would work for me.

I used to work for Udemy before they got inundated with junk get rich quick stuff. It's too bad too because I think they had a great thing going but they have become known as junk. But you can make money there. They will let you upload anything, so even if you think it sucks, it would be a good platform to practice.

I would love to teach coding to little girls but have no way of knowing how to go about that. If I had a dream retirement job, I'd love to teach girls to code. Nobody wants me to teach writing LOL
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Lysis wrote:I've kinda been up in the air about doing something that makes money outside of the writing thing. I don't really consider myself a great writer. I'm just an expert at something, so I don't think this would work for me.

I used to work for Udemy before they got inundated with junk get rich quick stuff. It's too bad too because I think they had a great thing going but they have become known as junk. But you can make money there. They will let you upload anything, so even if you think it sucks, it would be a good platform to practice.

I would love to teach coding to little girls but have no way of knowing how to go about that. If I had a dream retirement job, I'd love to teach girls to code. Nobody wants me to teach writing LOL
Have you thought about writing a kids book about girls learning code? Maybe preschool age to get them interested?
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I've never thought of that but that's a good idea.

Are you planning to teach writing or something like "make money writing?" When I first started out, I think the biggest learning curve was understanding what on earth people wanted. lol
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Lysis wrote:I've never thought of that but that's a good idea.

Are you planning to teach writing or something like "make money writing?" When I first started out, I think the biggest learning curve was understanding what on earth people wanted. lol
Not sure yet; just toying with the idea of online courses as a means to passive income (since usage sales are no longer a possibility on Constant Content and I have no desire to write ebooks). I agree; deciding what subject to teach and figuring out a target audience with deep pockets is the challenge.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I've been thinking of ideas myself although not teaching. I thought ebooks too but because I write for a living anything related to writing does not inspire me. lol

Wouldn't mind trying a churn and burn site but you have to focus on it full time and there are no guarantees. I was thinking apps too. Envato is a great place to make passive income if you're into that type of thing. I made a couple of cheap, small plugins for codecanyon (their code site) and I made a few hundred bucks. The kicker is that they take 50% up until the first $1000 I think. But I know a designer who made $100k so far on their animations/video site. I'm thinking about doing something there.
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Lysis wrote:I've been thinking of ideas myself although not teaching. I thought ebooks too but because I write for a living anything related to writing does not inspire me. lol

Wouldn't mind trying a churn and burn site but you have to focus on it full time and there are no guarantees. I was thinking apps too. Envato is a great place to make passive income if you're into that type of thing. I made a couple of cheap, small plugins for codecanyon (their code site) and I made a few hundred bucks. The kicker is that they take 50% up until the first $1000 I think. But I know a designer who made $100k so far on their animations/video site. I'm thinking about doing something there.
Maybe I'm too jaded, but seems ebooks are too much effort for too little reward. Even if you're lucky enough to have sales, you'll just have a spammer/scraper rip off your ebook if you achieve any respectable amount of sales.

Not sure if you've read them already, but read a couple of interesting articles on the future of apps:
https://medium.com/fwd-thoughts/the-fut ... f43ec52aab
https://blog.intercom.com/browsers-not- ... of-mobile/
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

HiredGun wrote:
Lysis wrote:I've been thinking of ideas myself although not teaching. I thought ebooks too but because I write for a living anything related to writing does not inspire me. lol

Maybe I'm too jaded, but seems ebooks are too much effort for too little reward. Even if you're lucky enough to have sales, you'll just have a spammer/scraper rip off your ebook if you achieve any respectable amount of sales.

Not sure if you've read them already, but read a couple of interesting articles on the future of apps:
Oooh sweet thank you for the links. I will definitely check them out.

I wanted to get into Google Glass programming but it died off. Wrote a few things on it too for the CC marketplace but those were a flop. lol
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Lysis wrote:
HiredGun wrote:

Oooh sweet thank you for the links. I will definitely check them out.

I wanted to get into Google Glass programming but it died off. Wrote a few things on it too for the CC marketplace but those were a flop. lol
I too wrote a few CC articles on Google Glass. They now sit gathering dust until Glass Enterprise garners steam (https://developers.google.com/glass/dis ... ss-at-work). Maybe Snapchat's Spectacles will open up to developers and give us another opportunity to create content about face wearables. :lol:
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

There was a developer buying tons of stuff at the beginning of the year. Maybe he started buying from someone else but he went from picking up lots of my stuff to nothing. I was sooo hoping he'd take the G Glass stuff off of my hands but nope. lol