ANOTHER Flaky Client

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

bridger

Re: ANOTHER Flaky Client

Post by bridger »

Luckily, I had the foresight to do 1 and ask for payment before moving on.
Good call!

I sold one of my unclaimed ones for pretty close to the negotiated price to someone else, so at least there is that option... assuming that the articles are general enough that someone else might be interested.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Normally, I don't care so much when it can get thrown into the general pool, but this is totally focused on a brand. I told the PM upfront what I would charge for 1 ($155) due to it being brand specific and the need to research and back and forth. Usually, the PMs tell me I'm too expensive but this time it was fine, so I decided to give it a whirl while being a bit cautious.

I'm out about 2 hours, so not terrible but this was the third strike, so I'm out. I don't know what happened but private requests on here used to be great. I don't get many anymore because I'm too expensive, which I did somewhat to only deal with clients with money but there is still the issue that they don't ever have to pay.
MKatz

Post by MKatz »

I just read this thread after looking back over my unsold articles from the past three years. I was really surprised to find that the vast majority of my unsold articles came from flaky private clients or public requests that might have just gone to somebody else. This is even more obvious if I eliminate articles that I uploaded within the last month or two. You'd think that spec articles would be riskier than requests, but that's not what my own numbers are saying. I have started taking the extra step of sending a message to clients after requests have been approved, and I think that helps. Buy yeah, if they don't buy, I don't know what protection we have.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I just turned down a private request and told him I've been burned too often. The open marketplace has been great to me the last few days. :mrgreen:

I make more in the open marketplace anyway and I don't have to deal with any customer requirements. I gave it a good college try, but private requests just aren't very good anymore. This one was for $.15/word, but it's worth nothing if the dude flakes out.
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

Good for you, Lysis! I've been turning them down as well (except for my regulars). Glad to hear you are selling well!
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

My wishful thinking is that they find some way to change the system to make it less risky for writers. But I think the only way that will happen is if people start declining and there is always someone that will do it.

I thought about telling them that the guy would have to pay me upfront, but I'm sure they'd just find someone else anyway. At this point, though, the only way I'd do a private request on here anymore is if they pay me upfront. I'm sure the "selling" point is that there is no obligation to buy, but something happened in the last year or so that these clients just disappear and don't follow through.

On the flipside though, I doubled my rates on here and I sell pretty well on the open marketplace. :mrgreen:
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

CC used to require customers to purchase all of the content they ordered before they could put in a new request, but not anymore - even with two "free" revisions in place. The system is designed to protect the customers more so than the writers. You are right though, Lysis, someone is always out there to pick up a request and at really low price points, too. Without the protection of a guaranteed sale, though, private requests have become a liability anymore. Just wish they would put in a "decline" button and save us the trouble of sending a message! I've asked for one months ago, but I don't see that happening either. Happy writing!~ WG
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Word Gypsy wrote:CC used to require customers to purchase all of the content they ordered before they could put in a new request, but not anymore - even with two "free" revisions in place. The system is designed to protect the customers more so than the writers. You are right though, Lysis, someone is always out there to pick up a request and at really low price points, too. Without the protection of a guaranteed sale, though, private requests have become a liability anymore. Just wish they would put in a "decline" button and save us the trouble of sending a message! I've asked for one months ago, but I don't see that happening either. Happy writing!~ WG
The PM told me he had "credits" which as I understand it means that there was money in the account. I hope he didn't lie to me. :(

I thought they always had to for a private request, but it might make sense that it's why private requests have gone downhill. I would never write anything without some type of payment in the system. Good to know. I'll never do private requests now. lol
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

I was told that they have to put in 50%. Since they aren't required to follow through with the purchase, they can always use their money on a different project. Makes sense for customers but not for writers....
Pellucidean

Post by Pellucidean »

CC just sent out an email which includes a link to a short survey where we can give feedback on the future of the site. On it they ask 'What is one change you'd like to see from Constant Content?" so that could be an opportunity to try and get the private request system changed. Since they are specifically asking for input, there's probably a better chance they'll actually do something about the problem.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Thanks, I'll check that out.

But at 50% down and the promise that they don't have to pay? No thanks. I'm done. At Upwork, I refuse 50% down in escrow for a draft. It's full escrow or no deal. If I knew that's the way it was played here, I would have refused ages ago although I haven't had issues until this past year.
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

Pellucidean wrote:CC just sent out an email which includes a link to a short survey where we can give feedback on the future of the site. On it they ask 'What is one change you'd like to see from Constant Content?" so that could be an opportunity to try and get the private request system changed. Since they are specifically asking for input, there's probably a better chance they'll actually do something about the problem.
Unless a majority of writers ask for this change, I suspect nothing will happen. This isn't the first survey, and I've repeatedly asked for this change.
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

When I responded to the survey I asked CC to fix the contact form or email message system. If they aren't getting the messages we send them, as they sometimes say on the forum, then they need a new system.

I've been offline lately while waiting to move into a house, and I feel so sad to log in to the forum and hear the same frustrations about no replies and disappearing clients. I hope we can get the changes we need so we can just keep writing.
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

Abbamay -- That's actually a really good idea, too! Maybe the fact that they sent out the survey means CC is getting ready to make a few changes for the benefit of the authors. Good luck with the house! WG~
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

Thanks so much, Word Gypsy! :)