Repurposing Your Non-Sellers

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

HiredGun

Repurposing Your Non-Sellers

Post by HiredGun »

For those of you with a large collection of articles on CC, have any of you tried removing your non-sellers from CC and repurposing them elsewhere i.e. creating your own blog with your non-sellers and adding AdSense ads? Contemplating removing anything older than 2 years and flogging them on my own multi-topic blog. Worth a shot or not advisable thanks to the growing number of ad-blockers in use?
Lysis

Re: Repurposing Your Non-Sellers

Post by Lysis »

I was thinking about putting them on hubspot and using amazon affiliate links, but I don't know if they allow stuff like that. I've sold a few that were 2 years old, so I'd probably go 3 years or older.

Not sure how well my really old stuff would do though. I've been selling my older stuff recently. As a matter of fact, since I raised my rates to $99 for a 500 word article, $120 for 800-1000 and $155 for 1000 words, I've been making great money here with just a handful of sales. It's great. I'm thinking about hiking the price of old articles. I've had to turn down private requests though, because budgets aren't worth it.

Of course, when I start to kill it, I start having problems with an editor. Not sure what's going on but I'm getting rejected and purged with no editing or resubmission. Sucks, because I'm killing it on the open marketplace.
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

That's a good point; rather than start a website/blog from scratch, might be better off posting them on an existing high-traffic site that allows affiliate links. Either that or combine a couple of related articles into one and raise the price on CC. Hmmm... :?
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

A lot of mine are tech, so the content is outdated.

Sometimes, I go through my older stuff to find ideas though. They can sometimes give you ideas for more updated content.
Pellucidean

Post by Pellucidean »

Lysis wrote: Not sure how well my really old stuff would do though. I've been selling my older stuff recently. As a matter of fact, since I raised my rates to $99 for a 500 word article, $120 for 800-1000 and $155 for 1000 words, I've been making great money here with just a handful of sales. It's great. I'm thinking about hiking the price of old articles. I've had to turn down private requests though, because budgets aren't worth it.
Can I ask about what percentage of articles you sell at this rate? Just wondering because I've been charging about $0.10 per word, and while I'd love to raise my rates, I'm worried I'll sell fewer articles… Already it seems like over the long term my sales rate is still only maybe in the 65% range.
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Pellucidean wrote:
Lysis wrote: Not sure how well my really old stuff would do though. I've been selling my older stuff recently. As a matter of fact, since I raised my rates to $99 for a 500 word article, $120 for 800-1000 and $155 for 1000 words, I've been making great money here with just a handful of sales. It's great. I'm thinking about hiking the price of old articles. I've had to turn down private requests though, because budgets aren't worth it.
Can I ask about what percentage of articles you sell at this rate? Just wondering because I've been charging about $0.10 per word, and while I'd love to raise my rates, I'm worried I'll sell fewer articles… Already it seems like over the long term my sales rate is still only maybe in the 65% range.
I've listed 6 articles for sale at $149.99 and 2 haven't sold (yet). Word count 800-1100. Buyers will definitely purchase higher-priced content, especially if the topics/research are unique.
Last edited by HiredGun on Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I'll give a count tomorrow. I didn't submit much last year at that rate. Maybe 10ish articles. This year, so far it's been about 20-30. I've sold most of them.

I even had a regular customer try to negotiate one of them down. Told him "no" because I was pretty sure it would sell and yep, it did.