Constant Content Full Time?

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

LMasterson

Re: Constant Content Full Time?

Post by LMasterson »

I know this is an older thread, but I'll throw my 2 cents in and respond anyway. I make a large portion of my income from Constant Content, although I do have several private clients outside of here as well. I also write a column directly for a couple of magazines, and I own a string of websites across various niches that are monetized nicely with Adsense and various affiliate links. I also have two series of ebooks under a pen-name selling modestly on Amazon's Kindle store that make up the rest of my total writing income.

For me, the biggest benefit to working with CC is the foreign currency exchange rate. I'm in Australia and we're trading at 0.72 US cents. So if I earn $100 in US, it converts to $142.18 AUD at this end.

The second biggest benefit is the lack of hassle dealing with private clients. There was a time when I worked directly for a couple of large SEO companies. Chasing payments, waiting for orders to arrive, researching weird topics, chasing more payments. Meh. Too hard. I kept one of the better SEO clients and ditched the rest. The same thing with my old private clients - I ditched the painful ones and kept the awesome ones. CC can worry about payments and finding new clients. It's not my thing.

These forums really helped me figure out where I was going wrong or what I should be doing when I first started out. I lurked for a long time trying to figure out some kind of strategy. I learned about getting accepted into various writer pools and applying for casting calls that interest me. Those are where big chunks of my sales come from each month. The requests are sometimes boring and the pay isn't always great, but I have the benefit of typing quickly (105+ words per minute) and the added bonus converting to a currency that makes it worthwhile for me play in those price ranges when there's not a lot of research time involved.

I still don't have a real strategy even to this day, and it's certainly not my only source of income, but I do earn a healthy amount twice a month from CC. It's enough to cover my mortgage payments and all living expenses, anyway, thanks to the favorable exchange rate. My other writing endeavors cover everything else I ever need or want comfortably.

So that 2 cents I was throwing in ... I actually just spent 2.85 Aussie cents :lol:
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

This year is my year to diversify. With Elance shutting down, I need to find 1 more place. I'm building a website myself to try to make some money although I don't want to rely solely on Adsense. I had someone click bomb me once, and the only reason I got my account back was because a Google employee vouched for me. I plan to have several monetization methods in case Adsense gets killed.

Having multiple income streams is really the best thing when it comes to online income.
Kthorpe

Post by Kthorpe »

I agree, I am working on diversifying too, but it is such a frustrating process. I would love to find 2-3 new writing gigs this year to add to my growing collection, but ideally, I still would hope that I can make it to a place where the majority of my income comes from CC. I love the idea of writing for About.com too, but it seems like none of the available topics there ever truly fit me. Maybe that will change this year.

Cost of living is fairly low where I am in the U.S. which is fortunate, but I am currently following the Dave Ramsey financial plan and need to completely pay off my car and set up my 3-6 months of living expenses this year.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

About.com seems to be the last of the content farms that hasn't died.

One thing I like about Upwork is that it's 1 place but you acquire multiple customers. I like to do short, small jobs for several people instead of longterm for any 1 person. It's less volatile that way should any 1 person decide to bail. I'm building my own site, so it will take several months. Don't want LOLhackedWordpressSiteLOL so I build my own sites.

My sister follows Dave Ramsey. :) My goal is to be as far into debt when I die and I win. LOL Haha I'm dead so you can't get your money creditors!
Kthorpe

Post by Kthorpe »

I was just invited to another private writer pool, so maybe January/February will be better for gauging my success :-)
Fingers crossed this pool stays profitable!
LMasterson

Post by LMasterson »

Kthorpe wrote:I was just invited to another private writer pool, so maybe January/February will be better for gauging my success :-)
Yay! Congrats to you. Here's hoping it's profitable for you :D
light87

Post by light87 »

Kthorpe wrote:I was just invited to another private writer pool, so maybe January/February will be better for gauging my success :-)
'I was once invited to a private writer pool, but the pay came out to 0.02 per word LOL....
light87

Post by light87 »

Here's my 2 cents too! From the other thread:
I'm viewing CC as some kind of savings account. You deposit articles, then you'll see the "interest" profit months or years later.

CC can be full-time :), if you've already submitted tons of articles and you're living off of the old articles selling. For example, if you've got 1,000 articles under your belt, you'll probably be selling 20 / week. Don't quote me on that though :D.
I guess the hard part is coming up with the stash. Realistically, I can only write 3 a day, maybe 2... if we're talking non-stop for 1 month. I mean since CC can't be an immediate source of income, you're looking at needing a primary source of income while writing for CC too.