Well, that was a bit frustrating

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Kitagrl

Well, that was a bit frustrating

Post by Kitagrl »

So I had an approved article for a request...but the person never bought it after a week, so I resubmitted the article as a regular article available for public purchase. The second editor marked TONS of "mistakes" that the first editor had approved as a good article. Not only that, but the second editor disagreed with one of my points (it wasn't a grammar mistake, but an opinion) that I had written out of my own personal experience about a certain type of professional business we had had a bad experience with. (Not written in first person). I thought editors were just there to check grammar and appropriateness?

Sigh. Oh well. I guess I'll learn.
Lysis

Re: Well, that was a bit frustrating

Post by Lysis »

Articles go into the general pool automatically after a certain amount of time.
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

Articles submitted to private requests seem to be getting stuck for months until someone at CC releases them. I always have to ask for release or resubmit them as Kitagrl has done. I've been told that they do release automatically, but they never do anymore for at least a year now. This includes any type of "claimed request" article. Not sure if this is a glitch or not since private clients don't have deadlines on making their purchases.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

oooh is that still a problem? I sold an article after it was rejected by the customer. This was maybe 6-8 months ago, so I thought it was fixed.

I see the "waiting" thing is still an issue. I have 3 articles worth something like $150-$200 still in waiting status after a month. -_-
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Yup. Went through my catalogue of articles and found 5 (with zero views) still stuck to old requests. Have emailed support.
Constant

Post by Constant »

Hey everyone. Just wanted to comment on a few things from this thread.

1. If you disagree with an editorial decision, please resubmit and include a note on why you disagree with in the Note to Editors section. The editors will consider your notes and it might just be that they misunderstood something and can approve the article.

2. Articles for Private Requests won't automatically release to the catalog, primarily because we expect clients to pay for their content if they issue a Private Request, but also because oftentimes content for Private Requests contains company specific details that we wouldn't want to list in the catalog. We realize that Private Request content isn't always purchased, but please contact Support if this happens to you. We can try to resolve things.

3. If you have written an article for a Call for Articles, Targeted Request, or any other type of Public Request, your articles should be releasing to the catalog. However, we are seeing that some writers are categorizing these types of articles as Private Request. We don't show articles with that category in the catalog, so please make sure you've assigned a fitting category that is included in the catalog.

4. If you're going by the request listed for each article on the My Content page to determine if an article has been released, that may not work. Even after we've released an article, the original request will still show there. The best way to tell if your article has been released is to check your profile and see if it's listed there; anything publicly visible will be listed.
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Constant wrote:4. If you're going by the request listed for each article on the My Content page to determine if an article has been released, that may not work. Even after we've released an article, the original request will still show there. The best way to tell if your article has been released is to check your profile and see if it's listed there; anything publicly visible will be listed.
Articles are listed under 'My Content' but have 0 views and when searched for via Constant Content's search function, 0 results are returned. (Exact title entered). Why would the article not show up in search results? :?: Thanks in advance.
Constant

Post by Constant »

HiredGun wrote:
Constant wrote:4. If you're going by the request listed for each article on the My Content page to determine if an article has been released, that may not work. Even after we've released an article, the original request will still show there. The best way to tell if your article has been released is to check your profile and see if it's listed there; anything publicly visible will be listed.
Articles are listed under 'My Content' but have 0 views and when searched for via Constant Content's search function, 0 results are returned. (Exact title entered). Why would the article not show up in search results? :?: Thanks in advance.
That could be a case where an article is locked to a request; what type of request was the article submitted to? Alternately, is the article categorized as Private Request?
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Constant wrote:
HiredGun wrote:
That could be a case where an article is locked to a request; what type of request was the article submitted to? Alternately, is the article categorized as Private Request?
Thanks for following up. Email sent to Eric w/ links to requests. :D
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Thanks CC for the clarification. The private vs public makes sense.
evaku

Post by evaku »

Kitagrl wrote:The second editor marked TONS of "mistakes" that the first editor had approved as a good article. Not only that, but the second editor disagreed with one of my points (it wasn't a grammar mistake, but an opinion) that I had written out of my own personal experience about a certain type of professional business we had had a bad experience with. (Not written in first person).
Sounds like the same editor I got once. Marked off more "mistakes" than the total number of mistakes I've probably ever had flagged on this site. Not only that, but two sentences that they "corrected" were made completely nonsensical and downright false by their changes. It was so bad I very nearly considered quitting the site altogether. Then I realized that I was being stupid and that one bad experience shouldn't make me do that =P I took the changes I agreed with (there were a few, as this overzealous editor caught a lot of my unnecessary wordiness), and I deleted the article and submitted it again hoping to get someone else. I know I could have left a note to this editor saying what I disagreed with, but the changes were SO many and SO drastic that I foresaw it as being a long and painful process. Whoever saw the article next accepted it with no issues and that was that.

Yeah there can be some frustrating times on here, but the editors are human and are going to even disagree with each other. Most give me no trouble and great suggestions :)
Pellucidean

Post by Pellucidean »

The inconsistency between the different editors is what's frustrating. If there were more consistency then it would just be a matter of adjusting style to fit what CC wants. But some editors clearly have very different standards from others, so it kind of becomes a matter of hoping you get an editor who doesn't mind the way you write.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Pellucidean wrote:The inconsistency between the different editors is what's frustrating. If there were more consistency then it would just be a matter of adjusting style to fit what CC wants. But some editors clearly have very different standards from others, so it kind of becomes a matter of hoping you get an editor who doesn't mind the way you write.
Oh man, this post just made me have flashbacks of DMS days.
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

Pellucidean wrote:The inconsistency between the different editors is what's frustrating. If there were more consistency then it would just be a matter of adjusting style to fit what CC wants. But some editors clearly have very different standards from others, so it kind of becomes a matter of hoping you get an editor who doesn't mind the way you write.
I totally agree! It's difficult to apply certain standards when you can never be sure what they are.