Strange Request

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

jak

Strange Request

Post by jak »

Has anyone else had a request to help Autotwitterbot? It asks you to click on a link and rewrite a document. Would CC have checked that link? I'm not clicking it until I get some reassurance. It's too much like a potential scam that might kill my computer.
JasmineStone

Re: Strange Request

Post by JasmineStone »

I just came here to ask that very same thing. It looked dodgy to me and I didn't click the link.
EFowler

Post by EFowler »

I did click the link (living on the edge!), but my anti-virus wouldn't let me visit it because it 'exhibits one or more risky behaviours'. I've just replied to say what happened and asking for more info. Seems like a dodgy request to spin an existing article to me.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I'd probably click it too cuz I'm a rebel.

Then, I'd look for adsense and report its adsense to get that account killed (if they had adsense)
Then, I'd report the site as web spam.
dbvirago

Post by dbvirago »

I clicked it knowing I could prevent or fix any problem it created. There is an image of a document on the page, that Chrome translated for me. If this is legitimate, I would assume the sender wants it rewritten. Since it looks like it got spammed to most everyone, I'm not going to attempt it. Best case, it's a few bucks. Worse case, I write a document they don't buy and I can't sell it to anyone else.

It may be legit, but I'll pass

fyi, It's Russian or similar
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

ah, Russian hackers. Always my favorite over the Chinese hackers.