Rights and Legitimate Use

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

dbvirago

Rights and Legitimate Use

Post by dbvirago »

So, I'm looking for tearsheets on the web to add to my website. Like most authors here, most stuff is sold for full rights, so it's rare to find your byline on those. I was going back several months and searching for articles I sold for use rights. I found one from last year where the blogger had claimed authorship to the article. Do you guys that sell usage rights run into this often? Is it worth reporting? Should I contact the blogger or just let it go?
Pellucidean

Re: Rights and Legitimate Use

Post by Pellucidean »

I haven't bothered to search for any of my articles recently so I haven't personally run into this issue, but I think when it's come up on the forum before people have said to contact CC itself when this happens.
dbvirago

Post by dbvirago »

Just sent a message to support. It turns out all of the last 5 use rights articles I sold are online under someone else's name. I know many authors don't offer use, or do so at the same price as full, and this may drive me there.

I do have some old use articles that have sold many times, but not enough to get ripped off for.
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

When you uploaded your article to Constant Content, did you add your byline on the uploaded document?

i.e.

Title of Article

by DB Virago

Body of Article here.....

I originally misunderstood Constant Content's rules and thought the purchasing client had to add in the byline of the author's name when they purchased usage/unique articles. Unless YOU add your byline along with the text of your uploaded document, the purchaser doesn't have to include it.
dbvirago

Post by dbvirago »

No, I didn't understand that either. I will start adding my byline to articles. Thanks for the info
Pellucidean

Post by Pellucidean »

I was confused about that for quite a while too. The one time I did search for one of my articles and found it posted unattributed, I thought I'd been cheated – until I poked around the forum and realized that I had to actually include the byline myself. That's one of those things that it would be better if CC made clear to new writers from the beginning.