Request for copy editing?

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Karbyn

Request for copy editing?

Post by Karbyn »

A request has popped up for "copy editing" in my requests area. (see below)

I would be glad to do copy editing and get paid for it, but I don't see how that could work with CC and I don't think this site is set up for that type of request, really, is it? Because the wizard wants me to "submit an article" which would not make sense if I were going to copy edit their own article (or in this case, their "100,000 word manuscript"

So . . . is this just a wrong request in general and I should ignore it, or is there a way to do this sort of thing through CC that I have not learned yet?

Thanks.
---

Request: Copy editing a romantic novel on Ancient Mexico.
Expiry Date: 2015-01-31 - Request Status: Open

Back to Requests
Contact Customer / Submit Existing Article
Description
I need a copy editor for a nearly 100,000 word for my manuscript intended for a novel on Ancient Mexico.
It includes native words, not affecting the English language structure.

Additional Details
Request Date: 2015-01-10 11:48:12
Number of Documents: 1
Subjects:
Extra Notes:
Price Per Article:
Length of Article: 250
Word Gypsy

Re: Request for copy editing?

Post by Word Gypsy »

It's doable. I've done it in the past. You need to submit the entire thing and include a note in the short summary.
Karbyn

Post by Karbyn »

but what do I submit?

re-submit their request and indicate yes, I'd do it?

they did not post the work yet, so I would not be able to do the actual editing yet...
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

You just open a discussion with them to get more info and say you are interested.
Karbyn

Post by Karbyn »

Okay, I'll try it!

Thanks
LauraGinn

Post by LauraGinn »

I think lots of people must have got this request as I received one too. I guess you should just let them know you're interested, and then they will choose an editor to work with.
Karbyn

Post by Karbyn »

Thanks for the update.

/hustles off to send request . . . :-)
dbvirago

Post by dbvirago »

Curios how this would work in case I ever see one. Is it like any other article on CC, you do the work and hope they buy it? Seems a little dicey with a re-write. With a normal request, if they don't buy it, you still have the option to sell it, but with this, especially 10,000 words, you are out of luck?

I have done small rewrites on other sites and like them as they are usually easy, but also low risk.

Also, how would you price it?

Thanks in advance for any input and good luck with your request, Karbyn.
Karbyn

Post by Karbyn »

I'm hoping more answers will be forthcoming, too, as I am still unsure about the whole thing.

Nonetheless, I will give it a try, because editing is so easy, so why not go for it?
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Hi guys,
For large or unusual requests like this, one of CC's account managers (Sienna, Eric, Chris, etc...) will often get involved to help make it happen so that it's fair to both the client and writer. Also, you can arrange to do it in smaller batches so that there's less risk. For example, you might submit 10 pages of copyedited text at a time and require the customer to pay as you go. That way, they can feel comfortable that you're doing a thorough job and you can get paid as you go without that big worry about the customer blowing you off and disappearing. If the customer doesn't pay for the first submission, don't keep working. You're only out 10 pages worth of work -- not the entire book. If you feel like you may be rearranging content from one chapter to the next as part of the edit, let the customer know that your final submission will be for the whole book.
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

Nice to see you on here, Celeste! I haven't seen your name for a bit. How are you doing?

Abba
Karbyn

Post by Karbyn »

Thanks, Celeste.