Offer offer offer... and no sales.

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

evaku

Re: Offer offer offer... and no sales.

Post by evaku »

Though I said above that info has bought from me in the past, I am currently in the same boat as everyone else, with almost daily offers but no sale up to this point yet. Will let you know if anything happens!
JDWhang

Post by JDWhang »

I figured that info was someone on CC staff putting together large orders for clients.
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

I don't think CC would choose such low offers as they would make hardly anything from us if they did. If the sales go through we'll all be happy. :)
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

It's me again. I had a good look at the articles info had put offers on, and he had offered half price for everything. Unfortunately some of the articles were reasonably low-priced anyway because they'd been sitting in the catalogue for ages and hadn't sold. When the offers appeared today, I went back and put my prices back up on the articles he hadn't put offers on yet and on those I'd chosen not to sell to him - and just now he has offered to buy two more for half price. I'm happy with those two, as my price was set pretty high. This makes me think that he is randomly choosing articles and automatically offering to pay 50%. Most other customers I've had don't make offers that low.

Is the same happening for you guys?

Abba
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Abbamay wrote:I don't think CC would choose such low offers as they would make hardly anything from us if they did. If the sales go through we'll all be happy. :)
lol I don't think you were here for the $3 offer fiasco years ago.

That fiasco was the main reason I started blocking offers.
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

$3, Lysis!! Sounds terrible!
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Ha yeah. I think he was going through entire portfolios and just offering $3 for all of them. Lots of ticked off writers. That's when I said Okayyyyyy time to turn off offers.
MordantC

Post by MordantC »

I'm getting the same thing -- several offers from "info" that are sitting quietly in the queue. I was starting to worry that there might be a glitch in the system, but if other people are seeing the same thing, I guess everything is OK. Good to know!
Isabelnewth

Post by Isabelnewth »

I am now getting multiple offers from the same person, at the same price! It's a bit irritating thinking you have a new offer but then it's the same one from the same source at the same price as last month....I know I should get a life, but it is rather annoying seeing all the repeat offers in a column....I think that CC should have a polite word with this serial offeror! or change the system so that an accepted offer is an enforceable agreement, as per the law, in the UK anyway!
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

If you put your prices up on your catalogue articles, the half price that info seems to offer automatically turns out to be reasonable. I have had more offers, even on the same articles he has already put offers on - and although I accepted the first time I have to accept again. It all seems a bit strange, as if the customer isn't aware which articles he has looked at before. Maybe there is a team of them all doing it together under the one name.
squonk

Post by squonk »

I'm seeing the same business from info. This client has bought articles from me before at reasonable prices, so I believed him to be a serious buyer. But this really isn't very professional, is it?
Isabelnewth wrote:I am now getting multiple offers from the same person, at the same price! It's a bit irritating thinking you have a new offer but then it's the same one from the same source at the same price as last month....I know I should get a life, but it is rather annoying seeing all the repeat offers in a column....I think that CC should have a polite word with this serial offeror! or change the system so that an accepted offer is an enforceable agreement, as per the law, in the UK anyway!
Seriously, this! It's the same in the US. If someone makes an offer to buy, and that offer is accepted by the seller and the acceptance communicated to the buyer, that's an enforceable contract. That only seems fair. Well, I know CC is based in Canada, but I'm guessing contract law can't be too different up there either.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

lol it's an offer not a contract. Relax.
Isabelnewth

Post by Isabelnewth »

Its okay, my blood pressure has not reached anything like dangerous levels, 8) I am just slightly irritated . A contract under the general law is only an agreement consisting of an offer which is accepted, exactly as here. But that can be over-ridden by the parties' intentions as shown eg in the terms and conditions of this site.
squonk

Post by squonk »

Not like it would really be worth it to try to get a contract enforced on a few offers on articles anyway, I guess. That would be incredibly impractical and expensive.

I'm not really angry either, just puzzled as to why info is making all these offers and not acting on any of them.
elenawilliams

Post by elenawilliams »

Here's my theory about this situation.

The user who has been making offers on articles (presumably using some automated script) is likely locking in prices before shopping the content around on other freelance writing sites - and when a higher price is offered, takes up the option to purchase our content here, and immediately flips it on the other site for a quick profit.

I also assume that once an offer is made (for exclusive rights) and accepted on CC, the content is NOT available to another serious buyer... which further limits our sales.

Acting on this premise, I've gone back and changed the status on over FORTY articles I'd accepted offers on (all from this single "buyer", I might add!) since late August 2014... none of which have resulted in a sale.