So I learned something about commas today

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Lysis

So I learned something about commas today

Post by Lysis »

I thought I'd pass it along. I didn't know this info and I really thought I learned that "because" was a conjunction and it needs a comma. An editor passed a tip to me that said a comma comes with "because" rarely. I didn't know this, and one of my biggest rejections is usually misplaced commas. I think maybe others have the comma issues, so I thought I'd pass it along.

I'm not entirely sure I understand, but they are the experts so I'm gonna keep commas out of my because statements.
Judith
Location: I may be found where mountains rise and rivers flow.

Re: So I learned something about commas today

Post by Judith »

When clarity is in an issue, a comma is needed.

Example:

I know Lysis won the award for writer of the month because her sister told me.

I know Lysis won the award for writer of the month, because her sister told me.

Without the comma, the sentence states the reason you won the award is because your sister told me. With the comma, it is clear that I knew about you winning the award only after your sister told me.

I don't use the word because too often, but this is the rule I follow when using it.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Thank you for that. The comma before the because is probably 90% of my revision kickbacks.
ReneeF

Post by ReneeF »

Owy and Purdues are great resources the editors here seem to live by. I reread those entire sites twice per year and have a habit of updating my "cliffs notes" about them ones per year and printing it out for easy desk reference. comma misplacement is my biggest bane, mostly because I know what I meant but the editor wants to to have a different meaning. lol
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Yeah, that's my biggest problem too. I wish I had paid more attention in those English courses I was forced to take in college. :)