Question about Areas of Expertise in the new bio

Keep Involved in Planning Changes to the Site. Have your Voice Count.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

ltynor

Question about Areas of Expertise in the new bio

Post by ltynor »

What determines the entries that are displayed in the Areas of Expertise section of the new bio? It does not show what I have checked off on the Edit My Account form. Do you need to have a certain number of articles of the selected genre, or a certain number sold, in order for it to appear on the displayed bio?

Thanks!
evaku

Re: Question about Areas of Expertise in the new bio

Post by evaku »

It does appear that you need a certain number accepted or sold (I am going to go with probably accepted)

Most of the things I have checked off appear in my bio, but not anything that I haven't actually written for. For example, I checked off "women's health" but I haven't submitted anything for that category, so it isn't showing up in my Health & Lifestyle section, whereas "Alternative Medicine, Nutrition, Beauty, Fitness" are. I like that it works this way, so you can't just check off anything and everything even if you haven't written about it. If you truly are an expert in something that it shouldn't hurt to have to write a few articles about it :D
ltynor

Post by ltynor »

I agree that we should have some articles either published or accepted in order for the category to be displayed as an area of expertise. It's a good thing to back up your words. :)

However, it would be nice to know what the exact criteria was. I try to write mostly for requests or writer pools, and so I have not written on certain topics for which I could claim expertise. I am totally fine with writing some articles on spec in order to fill in this gap, but I'd also like to know what I am aiming for - the number of articles that need to be either accepted or sold.

Does anybody know what the exact display criteria is for the areas of expertise on the bio?

Thanks!
Isabelnewth

Post by Isabelnewth »

Yes that's worth checking : I would like to have some more that show up too.

I just checked and from my details it would appear that 4 isn't enough but 6 is, so maybe 5 is the magic number, or it could be 6.... Cheers.
Constant

Post by Constant »

Sorry guys - documentation is coming for these new features. You do need to have 5 articles accepted in a category/area of expertise for it to be listed on your profile.