To Authors - Higher Education Articles

Questions about Paid content or looking for specific paid content.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Ed-Publisher

To Authors - Higher Education Articles

Post by Ed-Publisher »

Hello authors,

I'm a higher-education Web publisher and I'm about to launch a site for older students (27-54 years of age) who are thinking about returning to college (or going for the first time).

I'm new here and I'll need about 400 articles over the course of a year (personal essays from older students, college survival tips, job tips and other college tips - conversational style & humor is a plus).

I've already written 100 articles myself. I bought a few articles so far, but it can be challenging to find articles that are specific to my audience. One of the problems I'm having is acquiring age-neutral articles. I've sent out two author's requests so far for minor edits to articles they've written that only have usage rights. Common problem phrases include things like "high school students" or "young." Other than that, I would have purchased the articles outright, although I am still eagerly waiting to hear from those authors.

Many of my potential visitors have graduated high school over 10 to 15 years ago, so even a casual reference to high school or "young students" might not resonate with them.

I'm just letting you know that I'm on the block and perhaps when you're writing that next higher-education article, ask yourself, 'Do I need to make references to age or can this article be age-neutral?'

Thanks for reading! :)
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Hi, welcome to Constant-Content!

Have you opened a public request yet? This is a terrific way to get exactly what you want. I'm sure all of us writers will be happy to oblige and help you fill your site with content. I believe you can hide or remove the request too, so once you have enough articles for now, you can hide the request and then reactivate it when you're ready for more or start a new request with other specifics - whatever best suits your needs.
Ed-Publisher

Post by Ed-Publisher »

Hello,

I've only put in two requests so far for articles that were already written (that had usage rights only) for slight edits (removal of youth-oriented phrases). I understand that "usage rights" cannot be edited by the publisher.

These articles were dynamite and I could really use them. I have a list of other topics that I'd like written, but I'm waiting to figure out their importance upon launch--whether I can use them now or later.

I'll be putting in request for an ongoing column I need to fill. :)
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

I know a ton of writers, myself included, that would jump at the chance to write usage articles for that target audience.

My suggestion is the same as Celeste's to open up public requests, and then select a few authors to continue work with through private requests.

A number of authors here are usually willing to sell articles for less money when they know they will get a by line, and the work is steady.

You can also send private requests to authors through their author profile. Just click Authors at the top, and find the author you want on the right hand side. All authors are listed in alphabetical order.

Always Smiling,
Elizabeth Ann West
Ed-Publisher

Post by Ed-Publisher »

Depending on the article, I will buy usage, unique or full rights. Of course, this will depend on the uniqueness of the article. Some of the articles I mentioned had usage rights only. Otherwise, I would have used the other options.

Still, as a writer myself, I understand the importance of bylines. I also know how it makes writers cringe to see their articles chopped or butchered by editors, with their names attached. :x
HayleyWriter

Re: To Authors - Higher Education Articles

Post by HayleyWriter »

Hi Ed-Publisher,
I have only seen this post (first time I have ventured into customer forum). I have written a few articles on how to study etc and am happy to write more that are non-age specific. I never even thought of that to tell you the truth. Have a look at my articles and if you like the style, I am happy to write more specifically for your needs or to adjust them to cut out the age references. How about articles on how to study for examinations, make the most of your learning by knowing your learning style and general study techniques? I'll certainly keep the age in mind when I write these sorts of articles in the future. Alternatively, you could submit a private request for an article on a particular topic.

Kind regards,

HayleyWriter
KarenLiebhaber

Post by KarenLiebhaber »

Hi, Ed-Publisher,

Are you still seeking higher ed authors? I teach in higher ed and the majority of my students are non-traditional.

Thanks for your posts on here! I hope you have found what you are looking for!
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

It can't hurt to write and post them anyway. I've posted several articles just because, and they actually sold.
WalterS

Post by WalterS »

I see two problems with your column.

The first is assuming us older folk have no interest in reading about younger folk or high school folk. Those of us wanting to continue our education after a hiatus certainly want to know about younger folk because most educational theories, styles and methods are directed towards their learning skills. Comparisons are also informative. Ad nauseum.

The second is assuming that anyone over 54 is not interested in continuing their education. At 58 I don't find that kind of attitude very assuring. If you check with the U.S. Department of Education I'm sure you would find the majority of "older folk" going back to school are retired, not in the age range to which you refer.

Marketing tip: Everything has a target audience/market. Don't lose a dollar by ignoring one that arrives from outside the "1" ring.