Costs and recurring services

Questions about Paid content or looking for specific paid content.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

libertate

Costs and recurring services

Post by libertate »

I just kicked off a new web site.

There is not a single post, or member so far (since I haven't opened it just yet).
I need some content, in particular articles, prior to going public.

I am interested in developing some relationships with some authors who could write an article a month or so.

My initial budget for this is $200/month for the next 3 months. I would like to ramp it up, once the site generates some supporting income. I project about $1,000/month for this by end of year - this of course if all things go well. 8)

I am reasonably articulate and know what topics I want articles on.

I also know I don't have to time or expertise to write good artices. (I can write tomes of international standards, but not articles - go figure...:roll: )

I would also like to lease the articles for a preset period, say 6 months or so. Then it could be republished.

What would be the best way to approach this?

A retainer? Buy articles one by one? Have a party, lock the door, and don't let anyone leave until they write a short essay at least 300 words long?
KatYares

Post by KatYares »

There are a number of us here who would love to write for someone who guaranteed us a sale. What type of topics are you looking for?

Best
Kat
libertate

Post by libertate »

KatYares wrote:There are a number of us here who would love to write for someone who guaranteed us a sale. What type of topics are you looking for?

Best
Kat
Let me provide my target markets, which would give you a general idea what topics are open.

My target markets are:
* Individuals on diets - any diet (Atkins, Weight Watchers, SlimFast)
* Individuals with special dietary regiments (vegetarians, kosher, diabetic, etc.)
* Individuals consuming meal replacements (bars, full meals, etc.)
* Individuals taking vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, supplements etc.
* Individuals who exercise or use exercise equipment - any physical exercise
* Individuals whom have fallen for scams, fads, and/or rip-offs (related to any of the above)

All others, I am not interested... :lol:

I want to make sure I come online with a splash, so already published articles for starters would not work. I would re-stress that I am interested in not republishing these articles for at least 6 months at least.

Looking at my previous number of $200/month for 3 months, I believe to get sufficient amount of content, I need to bumb it up to $1,000 for the first three months. i.e. about $333/month.

I am looking at short articles in the length of around 500 words.

Looking at the pricing on this web site... an article every other day would be a good start.

I do not believe a single individual would be able to crank out so many... how would I contract writers in such scale?

Would a contest be of interest to all the writers?

** General idea -
* Write up to three paid artices (500 words, $10/article, 6 months exclusive)
* The top ?three? gets to go on to following months, with guaranteed article purchase.
* Only the first 33 articles will be considered. ($333 monthly / 3 articles)

Would writers be interested?
AnnM

Yes.

Post by AnnM »

I also think that if you posted your desired topics in the "requested content" portion of the site, with reasonable pay rates, you will see a lot of high quality articles produced for you that you can purchase. Then, if there are a couple writers you feel really are ideal for you on an ongoing basis, you can arrange to continue to use those people...

Either way, I can tell you that many of the writers here are very enthusiastic and talented and the better description you can provide of what you need, content-wise, the happier you will be. :)
libertate

Post by libertate »

The problem I have is not really getting the articles, but silence...

Since this site is brand new, and the niche market has a very easy entry, I need these authors to be silent about the site, until it goes public.

Call me paranoid, but I prefer to have it quiet until I am all ready...
AnnM

keeping it quiet

Post by AnnM »

Well, I know several of us would be happy to work with you and keep your site/goals quiet. Perhaps you should email Chris (site owner) or maybe he can jump in here and give you some ideas on preserving your concept from public view until you have accumulated your content.
joannerawson

Post by joannerawson »

libertate wrote: My target markets are:
* Individuals with special dietary regiments (vegetarians, kosher, diabetic, etc.)
every other day would be a good start.
Sweet, half the food pyramid makes my head explode, about time there was a way to make some lemonaid :D .

You want recipes? Advice on adjusting recipes? Personal essays? I can't do gory details, I don't like writng horror.
constant-content
Site Admin

Post by constant-content »

Just so you know.... if you post a request no one (but the people that work for Constant Content) are able to see your email address or any other info.

So you could post requests and wait for authors to fill these requests, without anyone knowing a URL or website. Even after the article is purchased by you, we show very little information about who purchased the article to the author who you purchased it from.

We also have two types of licenses....

A Usage Purchase means that other buyers may come along behind you and buy the exact same content as you have purchased.

A Unique Purchase is where after you have paid for the content, we will withdraw all options for others to come along and buy this content as well. So your the only one that has the article.
libertate

Post by libertate »

constant wrote:Just so you know.... if you post a request no one (but the people that work for Constant Content) are able to see your email address or any other info.
That would not be a problem. It's the topic I am more concerned about. :)
constant wrote:A Usage Purchase means that other buyers may come along behind you and buy the exact same content as you have purchased.
A Unique Purchase is where after you have paid for the content, we will withdraw all options for others to come along and buy this content as well. So your the only one that has the article.
the first option is too short of a window for me. With Google's attitude on duplicate information, and my need to be unique for at least while in launch mode, the "Usage Purchase" does not "protect" me sufficiently.

The "Unique Purchase" is an overkill for now, and is cost prohibitive until the site starts generating some income.

I need something in between.

I have an other question -- If I have an article with "Unique Purchase", can I put it back up here as "free" with a "Sponsored by" line (and of course the due byline of the author)? Would any of the authors be interested in something like that, for a lower price then a full "Unique Purchase" article?
libertate

Post by libertate »

Ok, I have posted the request for 10 articles.

What is the difference between "Description" and "Subjects" on the request page?

I am also concerned that if I post such request, and authors write the article, what happens to the ones I do not accept? Do they just spent hours writing and not get paid?
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

Wow, it's refreshing to see a client so interested in the process and expressing concern for the writers!

The articles that you don't choose to purchase will stay with the available articles - I don't think it would be a waste of anyone's time, as another client could come along and pick it up. That's pretty much the chance we take when responding to a customer request. :)

I think I've tried every diet ever made over the years, so this is a good one! :lol:
constant-content
Site Admin

Post by constant-content »

Yes, like Carrie said.... Its the chance the writers take. Normally what happens is some take a chance until they see the requester is actually purchasing. Once they see purchases, more begin to write.

I'm a little confused about your licensing request (6 month). The way our site works is we have a usage and a unique license and it sounds like you want a unique license for 6 months and then a usage license? Is that correct? Basically a usage license means someone else could but the same article, but a unique license means your the only one that has that article.

We also have a large section of content for sale on some of the subjects you have requested. Please take a look around and see if you find anything you like.

Thank you
Last edited by constant-content on Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

I wonder if the people who submit articles for this specific request would agree to remove their purchased content from this site after purchase, with an agreement that it can go back up for sale after a six-month period?

Would that cause nightmares for you Chris, as far as keeping track of things go?
libertate

Post by libertate »

constant wrote:I'm a little confused about your licensing request (6 month). The way our site works is we have a usage and a unique license and it sounds like you want a unique license for 6 months and then a usage license? Is that correct? Basically a usage license means someone else could but the same article, but a unique license means your the only one that has that article.
Yes, but I want exclusive or unique license only for 6 months. Thenafter they can put it back up and do the "usage license". In light of that, I would bargain a lower price then a full perpetual unique license, yet higher then a usage license. (By the way, when I logged in on the CMS, it said I had no order. Why is that?)
libertate

Post by libertate »

Carrie wrote:Wow, it's refreshing to see a client so interested in the process and expressing concern for the writers!
No altrusitic motive, I am afraid.

By doing work ahead, and not knowing if it will make any money, it creates a certain unnecessary tension. Tension is not a positive motivator for work. I need happy writers... :lol: