Question about prepublished material

Have a question about content or the website?

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Jaye Lewis

Question about prepublished material

Post by Jaye Lewis »

I've had several articles accepted then rejected, because of being prepublished on various internet lists. Are you saying that if an article has had any previous posting on the web, then it cannot be sold as original, even if I own all rights? I'm just trying to understand here. If that is what you are saying, then my story "The Christmas Mouse," needs to be rejected. I'm not certain that I understand fully why I can't sell something that I own. However, if I understand this correctly, then I will abide by your rules. I must admit that I have a lot of stories all over the web. If you could clear up my fog, I would certainly appreciate it. Also, you might include that in your writer's guidelines, you mention plagerism of other writer's works, but you don't mention the publishing of a writer's prior works.

Thank you so much! Jaye Lewis
Article Admin

Post by Article Admin »

Jaye,

You can sell previously published articles, but not for exclusive or full rights. Exclusive means "one." Anything that is exclusive is not shared, as in sharing it with other websites. You also cannot sell it for full rights because others are using it. Full rights means that you are giving full rights to the purchaser to do with as they please. They can take your name off and add their name as the writer. They can change the content of the article or do anything with it they like. It belongs to them once they have paid a full rights price.

However, you can sell previously published articles for useage. That means the purchaser is only buying the right to use it. All content must be kept intact as well as your byline. I hope this helps.
rcashdan

Further comment about CC's policy on pre-published work

Post by rcashdan »

Possibly I missed something, but this I only found this important information by going into "Customer" on the Forum. It's important to authors so I think it needs to be stated explicitly in Authors' Guidelines too. Forgive me if you've already dealt with this.
grouchy

Post by grouchy »

Hi - it is in the writers' faqs... not that it shouldn't be in the guidelines :?
grouchy

Post by grouchy »

I'm sorry - I should've said the info is in the Terms & Conditions.