Possible Ongoing Work

Have a question about content or the website?

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

HSJF01

Possible Ongoing Work

Post by HSJF01 »

Hi, I am trying to find out if CC will work for me. I'm a web developer, and have a client who needs an email newsletter, but doesn't have time to write it. It's for a motorcycle performance shop, and I'd like to arrange something where we have a consistently formatted email, sent either monthly or every bi-weekly. Though it's not set in stone, I picture a format where each issue includes a Maintenance Tip, Featured product, and Upcoming Event(s). Is CC a good source for this type of thing, or am I better off hiring a specific writer for this?

Also, what can I expect to pay per issue for something "short and sweet" following the above format? Is $25 feasible? Any advice?

Thank you!
Celeste Stewart

Re: Possible Ongoing Work

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Hello,
I believe that CC will be great for that. You can start out by issuing "public requests" where you specify exactly what you're looking for such as a 200-300 word product description/review and a separate one for "12 short motorcycle maintenance tips" (you could use one per month). As you start to get responses, you may find writers whose style clicks with yours. From there, you could choose to work with those writers exclusively.

If you'd rather not issue multiple requests to build a single issue, another idea is to take a look at the various writers and their work on the site and then ask one to write the entire newsletter.

Depending on the length of the newsletter, $25 may be a little low. I'd say 200-300 words for the featured product, 100 to 150 for the quick maintenance tip, and 100 to 300 words for upcoming events (depending on the number of events) would be a reasonable word count for an email newsletter. That's 400 to 750 words. If you find a writer in the ten cents per word range, you'd be looking at $40 to $75 while a writer who charges five cents per word would charge $20 to $37.50. What's great about CC is you can specify exactly what you want and how much you're willing to pay and only those who are interested will respond. Plus, there's no obligation so if you don't like the submissions, you don't have to accept them.