All Author listings

Have a question about content or the website?

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Cheryl

All Author listings

Post by Cheryl »

When the website was revised, apparently I was omitted from the All Author listings. Anybody else have a problem? Can someone add me please? Thanks.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

They only list authors who have sold five or more full rights articles now. I guess there were far too many inactive authors to list and this keeps the list more manageable for them. I see new authors celebrating when they "make the list" - it's kind of like a right of passage. :) Hope to see you on the list soon!
Cheryl

All Author listings

Post by Cheryl »

Thanks for the info. I don't expect to make the list, ever, because I am mainly selling useage rights. I am not offering full rights on any of my articles. Hope this is not a major gaffe.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

It's up to you. Usage is cool because you can sell them over and over but for me, it's not terribly lucrative. With over 800 articles sold I've only had a few sell for usage, maybe five or so, I'd have to check. One has sold repeatedly and that's fun, it's a winner. But the bulk of mine sell for fullrights at the full price. As a result, the money that makes it into my pocket is much greater.....

Why do you prefer to only sell usage? Just curious.
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

I don't mind selling unique on some articles, but I don't like the idea of someone reselling my work as their own. I guess it's really similar to ghostwriting and I wouldn't mind that IF it's something I wanted to do for experience, e.g. a book, especially on a topic I like. I realize usage fees are low, but I want to keep my right to resell. A lot of times, I don't think I could get what I want to on a full sale price anyway. I would like to hope in the long run reselling is worth more. I'm sure it depends on the article, topic and my initiative.
RachelN

Post by RachelN »

I think you've still got a relatively good chance of doing well if you're only selling usage and unique rights. The large majority of my sales have been for usage and unique rights, with only a handful of full rights. That's partly as a lot of the usage ones are reprints anyway, and partly as I'm not massively keen on selling full rights. Although usage fees can be low-ish, the price for unique rights doesn't have to be. So don't despair, Cheryl, I'm sure you've got plenty of chances to sell lots and make a reasonable amount as well! :)