Which license - supplementary material?

Have a question about content or the website?

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

conorcan

Which license - supplementary material?

Post by conorcan »

I'd like to use constant-content articles on a site for English language learning students. I plan on leaving the content unedited and unchanged, but I also want to have a supplementary material to aid in the students understanding of the article, including:

- A section explaining key vocabulary and/or phrases from the article in Korean.
- Questions and answers related to the article.

What type of license do I need?
Ed

Re: Which license - supplementary material?

Post by Ed »

Do you want to add the supplementary material after the article or include it within the article?

Do you want the content to be unique to your site?

If you want to use the article and have supplementary material on the same page (but not as a part of the article itself) AND you do not care that someone else may also use the content, usage rights should be okay.

If you want to include the supplementary material within the article itself, full rights is the correct license to purchase.

In any case, if you want the content to be unique to your site, you will have to purchase the unique or full rights license.

If you haven't seen it already, the customer tutorial contains a graphical explanation about what customers can do with what licenses:
http://www.constant-content.com/about/c ... torial.htm

Thanks,
Ed
conorcan

Post by conorcan »

Thanks Ed, you've answered my questions well. Do you work for constant-content?
Ed

Post by Ed »

Indeed I do. Glad I could answer your question.

Ed
conorcan

Post by conorcan »

What if I want to create an audio recording of the article available for download? For example, I'd like to have a verbatim reading of an article available for download in MP3 format for the public to download and listen to. I guess this qualifies as a derivative work, no?
Ed

Post by Ed »

This is a question I can't answer. Support will be able to guide you in the right direction.

Thanks,
Ed
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

From a writer's perspective, I would require full rights for an audio recording. Changing the format from text to an audio recording is changing the work therefore requiring a full rights license.