Translating Content

Have a question about content or the website?

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

vayala

Translating Content

Post by vayala »

Hi,

I am planning to buy about 30 articles ("usage" purchase option only) for a web site that I will release soon (3 weeks). My web site will be published initially in Spanish and later in English and portuguese, my question is: is there any restriction for translating articles bought using the "usage" purchase option? I would hire qualified translators and I don't intend to change the articles in any wat just translating them to Spanish and Portuguese.

After my initial purchase I am stil interested in buy a couple of articles in a weekly basis.

Thanks in advance, I will appreciate your quick answer

Victor
vayala@gmail.com
Ed

Re: Translating Content

Post by Ed »

I've escalated your question to Support.
Thank you,
Ed
Constant

Post by Constant »

I see no problem with doing that. As long as the articles stay completely intact and credit is issued to the writer of the article as per the requirements of Usage licensing.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

As a writer, I would object to a usage/translation purchase but would have no problem with a full rights translation. After all, that's what full rights offers over the other licenses: the option to use the content and alter it as the license holder sees fit.

I feel that allowing customers to translate articles at the usage level would be giving up too much control. We would have no control over the quality of the translation. In addition, there would be no way to ensure that the content was used according to the license terms because the words will be 100% altered and impossible to find using standard search tools. Customers could translate and then post their translation multiple times and we'd never know. Full rights solves these problems.

I'd also consider asking the customer to add some sort of disclaimer such as "Article by____. Translated with permission of the author." Or something like that. That way, it doesn't infer that the writer is multi-lingual or if the translation is grammatically incorrect, it doesn't infer that the writer doesn't know how to write in that particular language.

It sounds like this customer is trying to do the right thing by clarifying what's allowed. I thought I'd add my two cents from a writer's point of view.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Passing this on, Celeste.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Hi Celeste. You've got agreement.
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

Thanks Celeste for making those points. I most certainly agree. To the customer, thanks for bringing new markets to Constant Content, it sounds like you are a customer with a very wide audience. :)