Does it bug you guys?

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

PJEwriter

Does it bug you guys?

Post by PJEwriter »

Does it bug you that often an article is published with someone else's name on it? I find my name in light print at the bottom of the piece, but someone else's name is in bold, at the top - sometimes it even says, "written by" that other person. I don't like that. :x
AnnM

that is horrible!

Post by AnnM »

I have only sold one piece and haven't seen it online so far, but this would bother me far more than just having no credit on a piece.
Sheryl Nantus

Post by Sheryl Nantus »

ah, I know what you're saying - I think, personally, part of the problem is how the website is set up for the person to submit the article. There may be no option for the person to say "submitted by"; just "written by" - after all, if your name is at the bottom of the article then it's not necessarily denying you credit, it's the fault of the website owner/programmer by not allowing different options for the submitter to use. A lot of websites don't quite get the idea of someone submitting an article which they didn't write but bought, so they're not providing any choice.

if your name is still there, I wouldn't assume the problem lies with the client who bought the article - I'd think it's with the website who's not offering the choices.

of course, I could be wrong.
constant-content
Site Admin

Post by constant-content »

This is only the case with one customer who's website is laid out that way. They are not doing it on purpose, but they would have to redo the way the site is laid out to correct this. We can’t ask that of them.
Katie-Anne

Names on Articles

Post by Katie-Anne »

This has happened with my work. I wasn't a happy bunny, but what can you do. People always manage to get around the rules one way or another. I know it's happened with others because when I found my own, I saw another at the site that I remembered seeing on the recently sold list here. Mine had my name on it - if somewhat obscurely at the bottom, the other had not.

We need somewhere to be telling writers that they MUST put their names on the articles unless they wish to remain anon. I know I sometimes forget. It's not usually an issue. You'd expect someone to make sure your name was on the article if they bought it on the understanding the writer's name was kept on it.

So spread the word ladies - NAMES ON ALL ARTICLES UNLESS YOU WISH TO BE ANON!
Eliza Ferree

Post by Eliza Ferree »

Thank you Katie, I hadn't really thought about it. Going now to edit. :)
PJEwriter

Post by PJEwriter »

Right. I think now, not only will I put my byline on my article, I'll write "written by" at the top AND bottom. LOL.
TemlynWriting

Post by TemlynWriting »

PJEwriter wrote:Right. I think now, not only will I put my byline on my article, I'll write "written by" at the top AND bottom. LOL.
Excellent idea!!!
TemlynWriting

Post by TemlynWriting »

My main problem with this is that I don't feel as comfortable using those articles/links as clips and references for other writing jobs, because of the conflict of the other guy's name above my name, and the way it says "By him," at the top, as well as "by me," at the bottom. I don't really mind it, since they are short articles, and I am getting paid, but I just won't be as quick to use them for clips. The WFC ones only have my name, which is better for usage as clips.