Help! Revision request

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

GailF

Help! Revision request

Post by GailF »

Hi everyone,

I sold a couple of articles a week ago from the main catalog and thought nothing more about it. Today, they're requesting revisions! For free. And it's not a small revision either. It's a change from aimed at adults to aimed at teens. WTF. I don't understand why they even bought the articles if they're completely inappropriate for their demographic. He's pretty much asking for different articles.

Can anyone tell me how revisions work? I didn't even know they could request them on a catalog sale. I also don't see room to negotiate a price. Surely I don't have to do these for free. But can they return articles after buying them? Are there specific consequences for rejecting revisions?

I'm just so confused and less than thrilled at this particular client. Any help would be appreciated!
GailF

Re: Help! Revision request

Post by GailF »

Apparently custom articles get two free revisions, which my customer thought he was entitled to, despite him buying from the catalog. He's now raging that he's wasted money on articles that are useless to him without the revisions.
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

It's up to you whether you accept revision requests on articles purchased from your catalog. You can reject the revision request or propose a price you're prepared to accept for making edits. Personally, I would rather write a custom article for a client at a NEW price and have the old one returned to my catalog for someone else to buy. Offering to write custom content at a new price just might land you a long-term client.

From the Extended Writer Guidelines:

From time to time a client may ask you to make revisions to content you write for them.

With content that is for requests, we limit clients to 2 free revisions with the purchase of their content. Clients can ask for these revisions either before or after they have purchased the content.

Any subsequent revisions will need to be completed at a price that you and the client agree to, and they will need to purchase an upgrade to their license before they are able to download the completed content. You’re also free to provide additional revisions at no charge if you choose. A client may send you an initial offer to complete their revisions; you are free to send a counter proposal to them which they can accept or reject.

If a client requests that you update content you have for sale in the catalog they are not entitled to any free revisions, and the two of you will need to agree on a price for the revisions to be done. You are free to provide revisions for free in this case, and may want to mention in your bio that you’re willing to do so.

Responding to revision requests

1.You will receive a notification from us that a client has requested a revision. You can visit the My Revisions link in your account to view the request along with all previous requests.
2.On the My Revisions page, click on the title of the document to see the details of the revision that has been requested.
3.You’ll have the option to accept, reject, or counter a revision request. If you reject or counter a request, it is sent back to the client and they’ll have to act before you can go any further in the process. *Note: you cannot issue a counter offer for content you’ve done for requests on the first 2 rounds of revisions.
4.Completing Revisions – once you’ve accepted a client’s revision request, click the Begin Revisions button to get started. You’ll be taken to a screen that shows the details of the revision request, along with a content editor that will let you make changes to the content.
5.As you make the changes the client has requested, be sure to click the Save Work button so your changes are saved in our database. Once all changes are made, click the Submit Revision button to notify the client that the revisions are complete.
6.The client will either accept the revisions, request additional revisions, or reject the content.
Gauderbock

Post by Gauderbock »

HG's approach is a good one, but I'd ask myself if I wanted a raging customer as a long-term client...

If I was in this situation I'd probably advise the customer to take it up with CC or just return the article, whichever they preferred. Life's too short :)
GailF

Post by GailF »

I didn't see any place to counter free with paid so I just rejected. You're right, HG, I could have approached it by offering to write the article he wanted while he returned the other ones to the catalog. I didn't think of that but next time this happens, I might lead with this.
GailF

Post by GailF »

Gauderbock wrote:Life's too short :)
This is why I didn't even consider working on revisions and why I wouldn't have written his articles in this instance. It's the holiday season, I'm away from today and I've no mental space to deal with it any further.

Hope you guys have a Merry Christmas!
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

GailF wrote:
Gauderbock wrote:Life's too short :)
This is why I didn't even consider working on revisions and why I wouldn't have written his articles in this instance. It's the holiday season, I'm away from today and I've no mental space to deal with it any further.

Hope you guys have a Merry Christmas!
Completely agree. I charge significantly more elsewhere than I do on Constant Content. 'As is' condition applies to my blog posts on Constant Content, especially since they're all hand-edited by Constant Content editors and I run my content through a variety of editing tools and text analysis tools prior to uploading. Custom content costs more because it takes more research and more time to craft. I've only accepted a couple of revision requests for minor tweaks/URL additions. In this business, time is money. #ShowMeTheMoney :lol:
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Gauderbock wrote:HG's approach is a good one, but I'd ask myself if I wanted a raging customer as a long-term client...
For me, it's all about the approach.
Raging client = thank you, but no thank you.
Want to build a long-term writing relationship on Constant Content that is profitable for us both? Tell me about your content needs and I'll offer advice to help you achieve your goals. #Winning :D
Gauderbock

Post by Gauderbock »

HiredGun wrote:#ShowMeTheMoney :lol:
Precisely. I don't mind CC's 35% if it gives me a quiet life, but if I'm going to eat that and still have client issues... nah...

(Added)
Where are my manners... Happy Xmas GailF and all. Still a while to go for me before downing tools :P