Is article age factored into CC's internal search engine?

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

ershin

Is article age factored into CC's internal search engine?

Post by ershin »

Hey all,

I'm writing holiday articles, hoping to capitalise on a probable rush in December.

I'm rather new to this whole thing, and I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the longevity of this kind of article? My concern is that any holiday articles that haven't sold by Dec. 25th are probably not interesting to anyone until next November. At that point, will they do the same job they do this year, or will they be pushed down in client searches in favour of new articles?

I think holiday-themed articles should be 'evergreen' in the sense the same content should be applicable next year, but would appreciate confirmation from anyone with more experience on the site.
GailF

Re: Is article age factored into CC's internal search engine

Post by GailF »

Interesting question! I'm not sure the answer though. I'll have a look through my catalog and see if there's anything noticeable with selling trends for holidays!
MrSteve51

Post by MrSteve51 »

I'm not sure about seasonally specific articles, as I don't tend to write many of those, but I do know that of all the catalogue articles I've submitted, 21% of them have taken more than a year to sell. The fact that a fifth of my content sells after 12 months or more would suggest that it's still pretty visible to anyone browsing the catalogue, so that might be a reason to be hopeful :)
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

My understanding is that search results are displayed newest to oldest. I'm still selling content from 2014, so evergreen definitely sells. Make sure your short summary (especially) and your keywords box include the search terms your target buyers will be using, even if those words aren't necessarily included in your article (e.g. if your article is about content marketing, including blogging as a search term).
ershin

Post by ershin »

Thanks everyone - good to know it seems there's no 'shelf-life' on articles.

Also, great tip on the short summaries HiredGun! I'd just assumed cc went off the article body for search terms, so have presumably been shooting myself in the foot there.