Editing Issue

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

KinsleyRoyale

Editing Issue

Post by KinsleyRoyale »

An editor criticized a numbered list I included asking if it was necessary. I deleted it but thought I should have written a note to educate the editor who may be new that some online and print magazines like numbered lists even if they do repeat what's in the text. They are a quick highlight of what the article is about.

Are the editors into critique now as well as basic grammar editing? I sure hope this isn't an editor who likes to do rewrites because they think they can make it better. In the end, it is us who either makes a sale or doesn't. Some writing is subjective. I've included numbered lists often without an issue in the past.
GailF

Re: Editing Issue

Post by GailF »

I've never had a problem with lists before. I think you may have just gotten an editor on a bad day, or one who doesn't like lists :lol: but I haven't had any success arguing with them over something like that, so I would have just done what you did. Sometimes you get ones who have specific 'stylistic' standards and there isn't much you can do about that.