How Best to Provide Samples to a Client?

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Words4Bread

How Best to Provide Samples to a Client?

Post by Words4Bread »

Hello fellow scriveners.

I'm applying to a casting call and the client requests three samples. I'm writing new articles so the samples are precisely tailored to the client's needs. My question is how best to submit them to the client? Should I submit them to CC and once they're approved send the client links to the catalog? Or how about copy+pasting them into the application message? Or... any advice on best practice here at CC would be most welcome.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom and experience. :)
Gauderbock

Re: How Best to Provide Samples to a Client?

Post by Gauderbock »

Personally, I'd make sure the articles were general enough to sell through the catalog, and then submit them to CC as usual. I'd be very wary of providing free custom work to an unknown client via the messaging system...
Words4Bread

Post by Words4Bread »

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, it's a bit risky.

I'm inclined to do that and then send the client the links.
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Agree with Gauderbock. Also, make sure the rate you quote for your services is high enough to account for those three freebies in case they're never purchased (as well as numerous potential rounds of revisions on the content the client does purchase). [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Words4Bread

Post by Words4Bread »

Excellent advice. Thanks. I'll factor it all in so I don't lose out. :)
Gail Kavanagh

Post by Gail Kavanagh »

I think you would find that contacting a client this way and providing free samples would be a breach of CC's guidelines. It would be the same as selling your CC articles outside of CC, since you would have no way of knowing what would happen to the articles. They couldn't be paid for though CC since they had not been through the submission and pricing process. Everything sold through CC has to be approved by the editors. The best thing to do is report this client to CC so he/she can be advised on the correct procedure. Samples provided to 'clients' seeking them are generally never paid for and often end up being sold under the client's name, so the general advice is don't do it, on CC or elsewhere.

Hope this helps.