Potential Malware Attempt

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

HiredGun

Potential Malware Attempt

Post by HiredGun »

Heads up to CC writers of a potential malware attempt coming through CC's messaging system. Received the following message from "Dennomugambirr9" with a downloadable file (didn't click on the link). CC admin has been notified.

Hey, I looked at your profile and I'm impressed. Please take a look at my guidelines and let me know if that's something you can do:

Password: 123456
Gauderbock

Re: Potential Malware Attempt

Post by Gauderbock »

Yep, it had a VB script named "payment terms" in the attachment. And the script was highly obfuscated. Very dodgy :roll:
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Gauderbock wrote:Yep, it had a VB script named "payment terms" in the attachment. And the script was highly obfuscated. Very dodgy :roll:
Good to know. I did a quick Google search for the user name and couldn't find a single reference for them online. Glad to know I'm not the only one who thought the message was questionable. ʘ‿ʘ
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for discussing this. I received the same message and .zip file from Devvnerys67 and my computer said it was a virus. I hope nobody has real issues with this! I sent the info to CC so maybe they can help.

Take care everyone,
Abba May
Isabelnewth

Post by Isabelnewth »

I downloaded it stupidly and have had endless trouble since. Now on internet at public library having been locked out of computer and phone and all contacts deleted! SO DONT DOWNLOAD. I have told CC too.
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

I've made it a firm policy on Constant Content to not click on links offered by potential clients. Any respectable client won't have a problem copy/pasting their information into a message on the CC messaging interface. Just tell 'em you have a 'no click policy'. :D
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

That’s terrible, Isabel - I’m really sorry for you!
AnnaL

Post by AnnaL »

I've had three of these come through my mailbox in the past month - CC needs to step up and do something about this. For example, they could limit the sending of links and attachments to customers with accounts that are 30+ days old and have made a purchase before.
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

AnnaL wrote:I've had three of these come through my mailbox in the past month - CC needs to step up and do something about this. For example, they could limit the sending of links and attachments to customers with accounts that are 30+ days old and have made a purchase before.
Would be nice if Constant Content's IT department did as you suggest, but they might just say writers shouldn't be having any communications with a client off the CC platform, and that includes downloading/click on outside links. Insist ALL communications happen on the CC platform, including things like viewing writer guidelines (client can copy/paste them into a CC message), and problem is solved. Scammers are the only ones who will have a problem with you insisting they use the CC platform for communications (as per CC's ToS).
Judith
Location: I may be found where mountains rise and rivers flow.

Post by Judith »

I've received two requests like that so far. My policy is DELETE. I never open links.
AnnaL

Post by AnnaL »

HiredGun wrote:writers shouldn't be having any communications with a client off the CC platform, and that includes downloading/click on outside links
Sure, but that doesn't solve the problem of malware in attachments. There is a major problem here and CC needs to do something to reduce the risk for its writers.
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

AnnaL wrote:
HiredGun wrote:writers shouldn't be having any communications with a client off the CC platform, and that includes downloading/click on outside links
Sure, but that doesn't solve the problem of malware in attachments. There is a major problem here and CC needs to do something to reduce the risk for its writers.
But if you don't click on the attachment to the link, no chance of infection, correct? :?: Adopt a "no click on outside links" policy and problem is solved. I do agree it would be nice if CC did something to help. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (Not holding my breath)