Preferred Word Processor?

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

HiredGun

Preferred Word Processor?

Post by HiredGun »

What is your preferred word processor? Are most CC writers using Microsoft Word or Google Docs? Any others you've tried like Libre, or favorite add-ons/extensions? Thanks! :D
Lysis

Re: Preferred Word Processor?

Post by Lysis »

I'm still using Word 2007 lol. I really don't want to work with cloud stuff for personal things, so I still have the local application. Plus, paying for monthly subscriptions sucks. One of these days I'll buy it flat but I'm not paying a monthly fee for Word lol.
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Lysis wrote:I'm still using Word 2007 lol. I really don't want to work with cloud stuff for personal things, so I still have the local application. Plus, paying for monthly subscriptions sucks. One of these days I'll buy it flat but I'm not paying a monthly fee for Word lol.
Have you checked out Libre? Just recently discovered it (it's open source) and offers plenty of extensions, i.e. grammar checkers (https://extensions.libreoffice.org/@@se ... xt=grammar). Currently using WPS Writer but might start playing around with Libre for CC submissions.
Judith
Location: I may be found where mountains rise and rivers flow.

Post by Judith »

I use Apache Open Office 4.1.2 I really like it and find it has everything I need for the work I do. Features include creating databases, drawing, spreadsheets, formulas, templates, and text documents. For everything else I use Notepad++ 7.5.3 And they are both free!
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Judith wrote:I use Apache Open Office 4.1.2 I really like it and find it has everything I need for the work I do. Features include creating databases, drawing, spreadsheets, formulas, templates, and text documents. For everything else I use Notepad++ 7.5.3 And they are both free!
Thanks! Looks interesting. :D
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

HiredGun wrote:
Have you checked out Libre? Just recently discovered it (it's open source) and offers plenty of extensions, i.e. grammar checkers (https://extensions.libreoffice.org/@@se ... xt=grammar). Currently using WPS Writer but might start playing around with Libre for CC submissions.
Maybe I'm old school, but I feel like since I'm an MS dev, I need to stick to MS stuff so I will probably never convert from something other than Word/MS Office. I think I will buy it flat out this year. It's a tax write-off anyway.

I was a writer for Adobe for a while, and they gave me the full enchilada (as they called it lol) for their cloud applications. $800 for the year but damn errrything was in it. I kinda want to float the money again and get it but that would be so much money for something I use maybe once a year. lol
bridger

Post by bridger »

I am surprised no one has mentioned Scrivener yet, so I will: https://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener/overview

It's enormous overkill if all you are doing is CC articles, but part of the beauty of it is that it just gets out of your way and lets you write when you don't need the more advanced features, but keeps them waiting in the wings for when you need them.

I won't even install Word on my computer anymore. Everyone has their own preferences but it's been so enormously awful for so long I can't help but feel that people that have stuck with it have some sort of Stockholm Syndrome thing going on with Microsoft.
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

bridger wrote:I am surprised no one has mentioned Scrivener yet, so I will: https://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener/overview

It's enormous overkill if all you are doing is CC articles, but part of the beauty of it is that it just gets out of your way and lets you write when you don't need the more advanced features, but keeps them waiting in the wings for when you need them.

I won't even install Word on my computer anymore. Everyone has their own preferences but it's been so enormously awful for so long I can't help but feel that people that have stuck with it have some sort of Stockholm Syndrome thing going on with Microsoft.
Thanks! Looks powerful. :D
GailF

Post by GailF »

Definitely love some Word but I've also used Calibre though more as an editing tool.