Are Cheap Rates Killing CC?

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

HiredGun

Are Cheap Rates Killing CC?

Post by HiredGun »

i.e. 1000 word article @ $35 = .035 cents per word x 65% = .02275 per word to writer

https://www.constant-content.com/area/b ... Words=2000

Is it time CC instituted minimum pricing? Thoughts?
Gauderbock

Re: Are Cheap Rates Killing CC?

Post by Gauderbock »

I'm curious. What would you hope/expect minimum pricing to achieve?

Granted, we'd all like better rates, I'm just interested in your arguments for/against price controls as a way of getting there ;)
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Gauderbock wrote:I'm curious. What would you hope/expect minimum pricing to achieve?

Granted, we'd all like better rates, I'm just interested in your arguments for/against price controls as a way of getting there ;)
There's already a marketplace for 1-3 cent/word content (CG). I'm wondering whether CC is devaluing their brand by allowing dirt cheap content. CC has clients willing to spend BIG BUCKS on quality content :mrgreen: - why would they continue to spend up to $1 per word when they can find content for sale for 2 cents per word? Less profit for CC + less profit for writers = less ongoing revenue to keep CC running. Thoughts?
Gauderbock

Post by Gauderbock »

I certainly see your point, but customers who know the value of quality content aren't going to downgrade just because the cheaper option is there? I suppose if the 2c/word content is of equal quality to the high-end stuff there'd be an issue, but I dunno, is that often the case?

I've no strong opinions, but it seems to me a minimum price might just cut off a sector of CC's current market, without necessarily strengthening the top end...
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

"customers who know the value of quality content aren't going to downgrade just because the cheaper option is there"

Interesting viewpoint. Not sure I agree, but I guess only time will tell...
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

IMO, writers are dumb. No business sense at all. They immediately think the only way to make money is to be the cheapest person. Not true, but then again some people are only worth the lowest rate too. I fight it every day on Upwork. I don't concern myself much on here. The only thing that irks me is the copycats, but they promote it with the "Writing Ideas" thing so I don't suppose they care.

eta: also, i heard CC is rejecting a lot of people. I wonder if people are buying accounts. Or it could be just a dumb writer. lol
AnnaL

Post by AnnaL »

I've had pretty good luck since I joined CC around this time last year, but I do have some "old stock" that has been sitting in my catalogue for almost a year now. I actually wondered if, as a new writer, I might have priced some content at such a low price that buyers wouldn't think it was any good. I went back and raised prices on some of my old pieces, and one sold within five minutes of me raising the price! I am going to keep an eye on the other articles to see if the higher price will help them sell.
weave

Post by weave »

I generally find that my sales increase when I raise my prices (even on the same article). It can be daunting when I'm having a bad month and looking at a catalogue of expensive content that's not selling, but I believe that higher prices do help in the long run.

CC also does have a minimum pricing already (I believe $7 per article?). That's much lower than I'd price any of my content, but I think it puts off the real content mill types. If they were to introduce a minimum price, I'd like to see it on the requests page. My articles always sell at fair prices but I see too many requests for 1000 words at 20 - 30 dollars for my liking...!
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I have not found that price matters at CC. I used to be like everyone else and sell at around $50. I never sold a ton every month. Now, when I sell 1 article it's worth 3 at my old rate, so I sell probably more in comparison with my new rates. I have good months and bad months here, but luckily it isn't my main source.
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

$20 per article on Constant Content seems to be a common theme these days (based on recent sales https://www.constant-content.com/accoun ... ontent.htm).
Guess this is why:
https://www.constant-content.com/area/b ... earch=true

:(
Gauderbock

Post by Gauderbock »

Might as well churn it out for Textbroker at those rates.

Good luck to the writers I suppose if they make it pay, but I've seen plenty burn out like that.