Casting Calls and Expectations

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

cmcmahon66

Casting Calls and Expectations

Post by cmcmahon66 »

Not sure if this is okay to post about here, but I wanted to vent about some of the casting calls (this was set off by one that just came out where the requester is asking for a long article with fairly specialized academic info and analysis of a specific book (which I assume you would have to have read or would need to read in order to write about it), at a rate that comes out to 3.75-5 cents per word.)

I haven't seen a casting call or an article request/writing pool request that I've been the least bit tempted to reply to for ages, because the offered rates are so low. It makes me wonder if they do find writers or get radio silence and give up and go elsewhere.

In the past I've done some writing pool stuff even though the rates offered were on the low side, when the articles were fast and easy to write and I wanted some guaranteed income for the pay period. Most of the time the disparity between what is requested and what is offered in pay is laughably huge -- figuring out how to add links/references so that the article isn't rejected by the CC editors takes time and is a headache, and don't get me started on requests/demands for photos to illustrate the article.

In addition, the two times I responded to a casting call and got accepted, the requester looking for "lots of articles on a topic" or "articles on a regular basis for a blog" bought 1 or 2 articles from me, then disappeared. I'm willing to consider a lower rate per article if I'm really going to be writing for someone on a regular basis (and again, if the amount of work the article requires isn't ridiculous at the rate of pay) but only if that steady work is really going to happen.

Disappointing experiences in the past and terrible pay rates have turned me off to applying to any of these "opportunities" and from what I gather here, plenty of others of the better authors on the site. Does CC have guidelines and suggestions about what to ask for and how much to offer?

On the other side of the coin, I keep nudging up my rates on my catalog articles when I list them, and I get what I ask for often enough that it's been encouraging me to write and list more articles here than I have in the past. Getting those "Sold!" emails is a great motivator!

Happy writing, happy October!
Colleen
HiredGun

Re: Casting Calls and Expectations

Post by HiredGun »

You're not alone when it comes to casting calls/call for articles. :roll:

If the topic is general enough (and something that interests me) and is likely to sell in the open catalog, I will post a piece in my catalog at MY price and see if it sells. Most of the casting calls/calls for articles are too specific and too low-paying though; I rarely bother with the topics provided. For the few times I have replied to a casting call, the requester often hasn't even bothered to reply.

You are better off writing about topics you enjoy and on topics you know there is likely to be demand for. If you continue to provide quality content on topics that sell, Constant Content's account managers will take notice. $ :mrgreen: $ Remember that Constant Content is a subsidiary of Revenue Wire; focusing on topics relevant to Revenue Wire's target customer base can't hurt.

Just because the casting calls/calls for articles have taken on the Upwork/content mill mentality, that doesn't mean you have to run your writing business in the same manner.
Lysis

Re: Casting Calls and Expectations

Post by Lysis »

I learned from Elance never to discount my price based on promises of a lot of work. But yeah, I don't bother with casting calls.

I'm perfectly content writing about stuff I like and putting it on the marketplace. Sometimes the people lowballing writers buy content from my catalog. LOL They are lowballing because people will do it.