Do You Have Your Own Website?

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

HiredGun

Do You Have Your Own Website?

Post by HiredGun »

Do any Constant Content writers have their own website where they promote their Constant Content portfolio?
If so, do you find your site attracts many leads for your freelance writing services?
Lysis

Re: Do You Have Your Own Website?

Post by Lysis »

I do and I coded it myself and haven't touched it in 5 years, so it's aged. Most of the people who find me online and email me directly have found my work for other customers. Since I don't have a byline for stuff here, I don't get outside work from my work here.

I created a blog and started writing a bit on it. I have a hire me section, but right now the blog is so new and I haven't written anything for it in months. I have a few ideas for it that I'll upload soon.

But most of the people who have contacted me from a search online have been people who have read my work for other customers and searched my name and found my email.
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Lysis wrote:I do and I coded it myself and haven't touched it in 5 years, so it's aged. Most of the people who find me online and email me directly have found my work for other customers. Since I don't have a byline for stuff here, I don't get outside work from my work here.

I created a blog and started writing a bit on it. I have a hire me section, but right now the blog is so new and I haven't written anything for it in months. I have a few ideas for it that I'll upload soon.

But most of the people who have contacted me from a search online have been people who have read my work for other customers and searched my name and found my email.
Thanks! :D
Gauderbock

Post by Gauderbock »

"Website" might be putting it a bit strongly, but I have a domain, single page with a bit of text and that CC widget thingy. It was meant to be a stopgap but it's not really gone anywhere...

I've just got the feeling that I don't really want to pay the 35% to CC and then spend time and money promoting them as well, but I might be using that as an excuse for lack of action :shock:
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Gauderbock wrote:"Website" might be putting it a bit strongly, but I have a domain, single page with a bit of text and that CC widget thingy. It was meant to be a stopgap but it's not really gone anywhere...

I've just got the feeling that I don't really want to pay the 35% to CC and then spend time and money promoting them as well, but I might be using that as an excuse for lack of action :shock:
Thanks! Can I ask what you used to create your single page site?
Gauderbock

Post by Gauderbock »

Handcoded - was an SEO person in a previous life.
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Gauderbock wrote:Handcoded - was an SEO person in a previous life.
Thanks again! :D
Judith
Location: I may be found where mountains rise and rivers flow.

Post by Judith »

I have a website and had it before I began writing for CC. I have been building web sites for 20 years, and promoted my content site primarily to those web clients. I do get work from it, but mostly in combination with a Wordpress site.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

HiredGun wrote: Thanks! :D
np! I should add that even though I do nothing with my old aged site that I coded myself, customers that read my work do a search for me and find the website which then has my email. So I don't get direct traffic to the site, but I do make it easy for people to find me and email me.

One problem that I have is that I have the same name as an actress (never heard of her but she's who comes up on my name search). -_-
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Judith wrote:I have a website and had it before I began writing for CC. I have been building web sites for 20 years, and promoted my content site primarily to those web clients. I do get work from it, but mostly in combination with a Wordpress site.
Promotion is where I fail. I hate it, so I never do it. I'd love to hire a promoter/marketer but there are so many terrible ones out there that I'm afraid I'd waste my money. I've considered paying commission or maybe paying for some leads. I really need to do something, because I'd like to get more off-platform customers but marketing isn't my thing. The thing with these platforms is that I don't have to do any promotion, which is great for someone like me.
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Judith wrote:I have a website and had it before I began writing for CC. I have been building web sites for 20 years, and promoted my content site primarily to those web clients. I do get work from it, but mostly in combination with a Wordpress site.
Thanks! Can I ask what your WordPress site is about? :D
Judith
Location: I may be found where mountains rise and rivers flow.

Post by Judith »

HiredGun wrote:
Thanks! Can I ask what your WordPress site is about? :D
Sure... One site is about content writing and building Wordpress sites for business. I also host them.
My second site is a site that teaches and encourages people to write their family histories and offers genealogy tips (genealogy is my hobby)
I have a few other sites too... more hobbyish (when you have your own server you tend to go overboard)
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I wish this forum was more active. That's pretty cool, Judith.

I made a blog for programming and cyber security, because it's my thing and I thought it would help me show off my content for potential clients. I finally got back into it recently but I don't have much up there. I spend soooo much time on my content but I think it's 10000x better than what I do for clients because it's my stuff lol Finally made my first few adsense pennies and got my first comment. Felt good even though it's pathetic amounts. ha I don't promote or anything, so just knowing that someone is reading is a good feeling. lol
JoyRCalderwood

Post by JoyRCalderwood »

Yes, http://www.RosalieGarde.com. See the writing section for what I did. I just got a private writing job because I talked about my Constant=Content sales on Facebook. The person wanted to ask questions but also wondered if I do it outside CC. I pointed her to my writing page on my website. I also spelled out how CC works and she may buy articles that way too.

I prefer self-directed writing over requests and am especially leery of working for local friends but make sales both ways.