I hope it's okay to share my recent problem with a client

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

WritingNerdy

I hope it's okay to share my recent problem with a client

Post by WritingNerdy »

Hi, everyone! I used to frequent this site several years ago, and I love that not much has changed.

However, I'm writing an article from the requested content pool and I have several questions I need to ask the client. He wants me to include photos and links -- Can we even submit an article with pictures?

Anyway, I've emailed the client 3 times over the past week and 1/2, but no response. This is a 1,500 word article that has required two nights (and more) of research, but I don't want to submit it until the client replies to me. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I'm very frustrated because it's a good and funny article, but I have this feeling he won't accept it.

Oh well, at least if he doesn't accept it (despite the fact that's he's paying $100-$150 and I REALLY need that money), I can post it on here. Despite the time it took, it was so much fun and really interesting to write.

But if there is some way to get him to reply, like maybe asking someone higher up to get ahold of him??? Or is that unrealistic?

Happy writing, my fellow freelance freaks :D
Lysis

Re: I hope it's okay to share my recent problem with a clien

Post by Lysis »

yeah, don't write anything unless you think it will sell in the open catalog. There is no incentive for them to pay you. They have nothing invested when they request something and they can request content from multiple different places.

He probably got the content from somewhere else.

I'd throw 1500 words up for at least 250.00. Remember they take 35%
evaku

Post by evaku »

Unfortunately there's not really a way to make someone get back into contact with you. I really hope this sale works out for you and I totally feel your pain. I had a client once ask me to write a this pitch page for an ebook and gave me an example page that included pictures and links and "buy now" buttons - the works! I was worried that they wanted all that from me (as that goes well above and beyond simply writing the content!) even though I had written plenty of things for them in the past, so I sent a message saying as much. No one got back to me, so I submitted the written content you'd have on such a pitch page. They purchased the content and I was relieved, but then a couple of days later I got a revision request asking for the page to include pictures, a buy now button, and a way to download their ebook! I did use paint to come up with some horrible graphics, but I once again explained that all of the rest went above and beyond what I do and what they were paying, and tried to explain a little bit about what would be involved in all of that so that they might have a chance at contacting the right people for such work. I'm very happy that no one else has ever given me even close to such trouble! Sorry, just had to rant :P
Gauderbock

Post by Gauderbock »

> pictures

Hehe, I had one repeat client who suddenly started asking for pro-quality images too. I tried explaining several times that I do words and not images, but no effect... I assume it's because there's now the option to purchase 3rd party images alongside catalog articles... Anyhow, after the third time I pointed him to Google Images I think he got the message...