2017 Writing Goals

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

HiredGun

2017 Writing Goals

Post by HiredGun »

Anybody have 2017 freelance writing goals? More private clients, less time writing, faster researching, etc?

Lysis

Re: 2017 Writing Goals

Post by Lysis »

I already reduced my writing time to 25-30 hours a week. I'm increasing my fees in 2017 to $85/hour. I'll increase them every year until I find the right market rate. I have 0 problem getting $75/hour, so I'm too cheap right now.

My friend and I are discussing expansion by coming together with some ideas and teaming up to form a business venture. We'll see how that goes. She and I are in the ideas phase, and I gots lots of ideas. :D
cmcmahon66

Post by cmcmahon66 »

My main thrust is going to be developing my own freelance writing clients with businesses, getting a website up, blogging regularly and marketing myself.

However, CC is hard to quit! I love being able to write about anything that I feel like, setting a price, and sales always feel like a great boost. It's just too "feast or famine" to count on for a steady income but it's a nice "side hustle". The more I have in my catalog, the more I sell, so my goal for this year is to build my catalog by submitting 4-5 articles per week, but keeping them to topics I know well or are easier to write about so I can do them relatively quickly.

I am also swearing off writer pool, casting calls, and private requests completely. Every time I do it, it always takes way too long for the amount of pay, and reminds me that submitting articles to the catalog is more time/money efficient.

I've written for and looked at other "content mill" sites and keep coming back to CC because it is the only one that lets me write about what I want and let people decide whether to buy it, rather than writing for clients who don't really know how to ask for what they want AND don't pay much for the time and effort it takes to figure that out from your end.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

CC is an excellent side hustle indeed. I wanted to get to 1000 articles uploaded but I'm still at 750 I think. lol No way I'll get to 1000 this year either. Maybe next year.
Gauderbock

Post by Gauderbock »

Main goals:

1) Ramp up the catalog submissions, my last few months have shown it really does seem to be a numbers game.
2) Pull my finger out and finish more of the 450-ish drafts I have lying around.
3) Find new ways to diversify income. Although always easier said than done.
4) Explore a new venture which looks interesting, moving up the content supply food chain a little. We have a slush fund in place, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Happy New Year BTW
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Gauderbock wrote: 3) Find new ways to diversify income. Although always easier said than done.
If you're into diversifying your income via micro gigs, there are a growing number of micro task apps. Check out apps like Spare5 to earn extra cash.
ChristinaS

Post by ChristinaS »

I want to hit 100 articles on Constant Content before I go off the grid for a few years.* I hope that will be a large enough sample size to test out the site.

*I'm moving overseas for a job that strictly forbids moonlighting since my dance card will be full of language learning and cultural development.

I also want to write my first novel.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I think I'm gonna move away from writing and I'm coming up with ideas for envato. Programming > writing :D