Numerals

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

mnicol22

Numerals

Post by mnicol22 »

Do you write out the numbers in list articles or use numerals? I've written quite a few lists so far, I've always used numerals, and the articles went through just fine. Now, one of the editors wants me to write out the numbers instead, and I'm going nuts over it because it doesn't feel right. I think I might as well use bulletpoints and be over with it, but I've got more articles in the queue, which are probably going to be rejected anyway. Has that ever happened to you? :?
Isabelnewth

Re: Numerals

Post by Isabelnewth »

Never happened to me, but maybe it's an over-rigid application of a rule I saw here somewhere, that numbers up to ten should be spelled and only after that should they be written as numerals.

It seems really wrong for a list article, and they must have accepted several million of those with normal numbers in the past! I wish there was a way to communicate direct with the editor looking at your work other than by re-submitting, on something like this.

Hope the ed recovers from their fit of madness for your other articles
mnicol22

Re: Numerals

Post by mnicol22 »

Oh my! I just realized that the poor editor was right! There was a number to be changed. I guess I got confused because the comment about writing out small numbers came right after a note about my list numbers going missing. Totally my bad! :oops: