Conclusions

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Post Reply
mizrae
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:09 pm

Conclusions

Post by mizrae »

Oh hi, I have recently had an editor tell me that all articles -- in this case, lists -- must have a conclusion. How does one derive a conclusion from something like 5 Doggone Good Dog Quotations? And why? Just wondering. Can anyone direct me to the ruling for this? I would be happy to comply, but couldn't find it.
Also, I have twice had editors question the use of a word (such as "wangled") rather than, say, looking it up. I sent back the Webster definition and it went through but it seems as though editors might take the time to look it up rather than simply rejecting the piece because they didn't now the word definition. When I use a "big", technical or obscure word should I put in a note in comments?
Aside from these questions, I'm have a pretty good time writing for CC!! :)
Thanks for your help
Gauderbock
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:26 am

Re: Conclusions

Post by Gauderbock »

I always put a conclusion of some sort in, even though as you say it sometimes doesn't seem particularly appropriate. A single sentence usually does the trick, along the lines of "tell them what you've told them", and even if it sticks out like a sore thumb the customer can always delete it after buying, just make sure it doesn't show in the preview ;)

Re using technical or obscure words, I dunno - maybe the editor did actually know what you meant, but thought it could do with a little clarification for the average reader? It can be a fine line between being straightforward and 'dumbing down' though...
Lysis
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Conclusions

Post by Lysis »

Yeah, the conclusions on list style articles seems weird to me too, but I just wrap it up in 2-3 sentences. You have to use a conclusion on all articles.
gators18
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:46 pm

Re: Conclusions

Post by gators18 »

Lysis wrote:Yeah, the conclusions on list style articles seems weird to me too, but I just wrap it up in 2-3 sentences. You have to use a conclusion on all articles.


This is a made up fantasy by a single editor and not part of the guidelines. I have a format that sells well here and elsewhere. They pass through without revision until I draw the editor with the conclusion fetish. A couple of times I've even pulled a Writer's Domain and deleted the article, resubmitted it without change, and had it approved by a different editor. Most of the time though I just sell it elsewhere (at the same or higher price) and ignore Constant Content for a few months in the hopes they review the editor.
Lysis
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Conclusions

Post by Lysis »

gators18 wrote:
Lysis wrote:Yeah, the conclusions on list style articles seems weird to me too, but I just wrap it up in 2-3 sentences. You have to use a conclusion on all articles.


This is a made up fantasy by a single editor and not part of the guidelines. I have a format that sells well here and elsewhere. They pass through without revision until I draw the editor with the conclusion fetish. A couple of times I've even pulled a Writer's Domain and deleted the article, resubmitted it without change, and had it approved by a different editor. Most of the time though I just sell it elsewhere (at the same or higher price) and ignore Constant Content for a few months in the hopes they review the editor.


Yeah, been having issues with an editor too that just purges my articles. This is a new one for me since at least I usually get a rejection and a chance to edit. I back off too when this happens cuz it'll just frustrate you. Sucks, cuz I'm selling $155 articles like crazy.
gators18
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:46 pm

Re: Conclusions

Post by gators18 »

Lysis wrote:
gators18 wrote:
Lysis wrote:Yeah, the conclusions on list style articles seems weird to me too, but I just wrap it up in 2-3 sentences. You have to use a conclusion on all articles.


This is a made up fantasy by a single editor and not part of the guidelines. I have a format that sells well here and elsewhere. They pass through without revision until I draw the editor with the conclusion fetish. A couple of times I've even pulled a Writer's Domain and deleted the article, resubmitted it without change, and had it approved by a different editor. Most of the time though I just sell it elsewhere (at the same or higher price) and ignore Constant Content for a few months in the hopes they review the editor.


Yeah, been having issues with an editor too that just purges my articles. This is a new one for me since at least I usually get a rejection and a chance to edit. I back off too when this happens cuz it'll just frustrate you. Sucks, cuz I'm selling $155 articles like crazy.


I'm starting to wonder if they're targeting people they think price too high based on the rates they keep putting on team requests and casting calls.
Lysis
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Conclusions

Post by Lysis »

ha, I don't think so. Higher priced articles make them more money. I've made more money with my $155 articles on here the past 6 weeks than I did for maybe the whole year last year. lol

I sold a $250 article last month. It was a cool article but wasn't sure how it would do.

I've priced myself out of the private and pool requests though.
gators18
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:46 pm

Re: Conclusions

Post by gators18 »

It's a standard content mill tactic. Keep writers down and hungry so they feel obligated to take those lower paid pool orders for the "chance to move up."
Lysis
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Conclusions

Post by Lysis »

lol that won't work on me. :mrgreen:

I was a Demand Studios writer. It doesn't get any worse than that.
Post Reply